Getting Started in Clackamas County
For the most part, Clackamas County does not require businesses to have county issued licenses if they are operating in unincorporated areas of the county. There are exceptions, however. Home occupations, motor vehicle dealers or rebuilders, wrecker/salvage operators have licensing requirements. Information about these can be obtained at (503) 742-4400. Second hand dealers are also required to have licenses. Information can be obtained at (503) 785-5000. While the County may not require a business license, many cities and the State of Oregon often do. For State business information call (503) 986-2200.
- Check into the State Business License Requirements. Contact the Business Information Center, Public Service Building Suite 151, 255 Capitol Street NE, Salem, Oregon 97301-1327 or call them at (503) 986-2200.
- Get a local business license if needed. Call the city where you are considering locating. Addresses and phone numbers for cities in Clackamas County are in the Contacts section of this report.
- Make sure your prospective site is properly zoned for your type of business and fits the Comprehensive Plan.
If in an unincorporated area: Call (503) 742-4500, or write 9101 SE Sunnybrook Blvd., Clackamas, Oregon 97015.
- If in a city: Call that city's Planning Department. (See Contacts section under cities.)
- Fire Department: Check with the local fire marshal to see if your type of operation will be permitted in a particular building and if fire suppression systems are needed.
- If you are planning to build a facility you need to request a preapplication meeting, submit construction plans for Design Review, and file for building permits and inspections: Again, contact the County or the city planning department that has jurisdiction.
- Contact the Department of Environmental Ouality at (503) 229-5696 if you need permits or information about regulations for: discharges affecting water or air quality, asbestos removal, hazardous wastes, underground storage tanks, use or storage of volatile compounds and petroleum products, parking lot construction, and the disturbance of 5 or more acres of land.
- File a Personal Property report on or before March 1. Call (503) 655-8671 for more information. File with the Clackamas County Tax Assessor at 168 Warner Milne Road, Oregon City, Oregon 97045.
- Plan for the Tri-Met Self Employment Tax: (503) 378-4988. Submit forms with Federal/State Income tax returns. Mail to Oregon Department of Revenue, P.O. Box 14780-0, Salem, Oregon. Not applicable in Molalla, Wilsonville, or unincorporated areas outside the Tri-Met Service District boundary.
- Comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Call Northwest Disability & Business Technical Assistance Center 1-800-949-4232 or Office of ADA, Civil Rights Division 1-800-514-0301 for information on whether your business needs to make special accommodations to the public or your employees.
- Secure Workers Compensation Insurance: Contact the Department of Consumer & Business Services, Workers Compensation Division at (503) 945-7888, 21 Labor and Industries Building, 350 Winter Street NE, Salem, Oregon 97310.
- Check with the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (OSHA) (503) 378-5910 at their Portland (Field Office to find out which regulations affect your type of business.
- Contact the Bureau of Labor and Industries at (503) 731-4073 for information on wage and hour laws, parental leave, civil rights laws and apprenticeship programs. Contact the Bureau of Labor and lndustries 800 NE Oregon Room 32, Portland, Oregon 97232.