Services Departments Government

Committee for Citizen Involvement Minutes

October 18, 2016
6 p.m.
Attendees: Geoffrey Janke, Jerry Andersen, Laurie Swanson, Rick Cook, Joe Mazzara
Staff: Katie Wilson, Stacy Davenport
Visitors: Rob Bruce, former secretary/treasurer of Villages at Mt. Hood
Karen with Jennings Lodge CPO

Jerry called the meeting to order at 6:05 p.m.

Approval of Meeting Summary from 9/20/16
Geoffrey would like to have it called Meeting Minutes, instead of Meeting Summary.
Geoffrey motioned, Rick 2nd.
The Meeting Minutes were approved. It was unanimous.

County Updates:
Joe Mazzara introduced Rob Bruce, former secretary/treasurer of the Villages at Mt. Hood.
Rob went over more details on the dissolution for the Villages at Mt. Hood. He also mentioned he liked our meeting minutes in regards to training. Rob went over a document that Geoff sent to CCI members. Katie asked for Rob’s contact information so she can invite him to the next policy session regarding the County Code.

Katie went over the policy session regarding the County Code and the next steps. She said the BCC voted 3 – 1. Stephen Madkour said a requirement should be part of the code, per CCI recommendations, but he needs to look at the legalities.

Joe Mazzara discussed the Villages at Mt. Hood dissolution again.

Katie discussed that we are working on outreach in that area. We are not going to walk away. Someone asked what makes a Village or Hamlet? Katie said a Village can create a tax district, Hamlets can’t create a tax district.

Laurie suggested/asked if we could start with a CPO first? Per Katie, we would need to check with the community. She discussed not speaking for the Villages. Joe brought up that a meeting was held by Villages and reps. Katie said they were not conducting an official Village meeting. Laurie shared her perspective that people involved could let go and move on.

Rick suggested having Hamlets send PGA yearly reports to the BCC to help keep tabs. How will we let other Hamlets know about a public hearing? Katie will send an email to all the Hamlets.

Geoffrey asked if we can meet before the next public meeting. He feels the dissolution was not discussed a lot ahead of time. Katie said it was talked about at the meeting, but he had to leave early. Katie discussed that we are not talking about one person. Geoff asked if the BCC knew the minutes were a draft and that we slow down the clock. Katie said they did know they were draft minutes and sometimes it is not possible to slow things down.

CPO Summit:
Karen Bjorklund from Jennings Lodge CPO has been talking about having a session with all CPOs to get together and talk about issues, etc. She sent an email to all CPOs regarding issues, etc. and asked how the CPOs can help each other with issues. She noted urban CPOs will have different issues than rural CPOs, or some of the same issues. They will possibly have their first meeting in November and have a wider discussion. They will not strategize on the first meeting. They would not like the county staff to be involved in the beginning. There will be a limit on the number of people per CPO for fair representation. Equal time per CPO, not person.

Katie wanted to make sure CCI did not duplicate what the CPOs planned to do.

Laurie brought up attendance to ask CPOs how others keep attendance. There are also people that are not heard at CPO meetings.

Karen said this CPO Summit group are the drivers of this, not the county. They want to work together to make decisions.

CCI Reps. for CPOs:
Rick talked about CCI to help out as an advocate. CCI can take it to the county. Karen said advocacy is good, but being realistic what you can provide.

Jerry asked if the CPOs want CCI at a meeting. Karen said it depends on the services. Joe suggested that the CPOs can go to CCI and the CCI member that qualifies best can advocate/support that CPO.

CCI agreed to put this on hold until further discussion at the CPO Summit.

Damascus Community Event
The date is tentatively set for December 3, 2016. Katie explained the event and that it is to let the Damascus area know what the county offers. It will be held at Sunnyside Community Church. Joe Mazzara would like to volunteer.

Other Business:
Katie talked about the next meeting and if she is not able to attend the next meeting, Amy Kyle will attend.

There will be no December meeting at this time.

Action Items:

Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.

Next meeting: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 – 6:00 p.m.

Share this page

Public Services Building

Community Involvement

Phone number 503-655-8751
Address 2051 Kaen Road
Oregon City, OR 97045
map