Services Departments Government

Clackamas Homebuyer Assistance Program (CHAP)

CHAP loans provide cash for down payment and closing costs. We work with Oregon-licensed lenders to make home ownership more affordable. Check out the links to the CHAP and NCRA for details. 

North Clackamas Revitalization Area (NCRA)

Compare the downpayment assistance programs

The CHAP Program can loan up to $14,000 to help qualified first-time homebuyers pay for downpayment and reasonable closing costs. A CHAP loan is a zero-percent interest deferred-payment loan. Read more about the Clackamas Homebuyer Assistance Program.

Follow these steps to apply for a CHAP loan:

  1. You (the Buyer) must complete a county-approved eight-hour homebuyer education class. You may take a class through the Portland Housing Center, Hacienda CDC, NAYA or APICIA. Other training options can be found on this list of training classes. Two on-line classes which include in person credit counseling have been approved: NEDCO and The Portland Housing Center.
  2. (We no longer require the Buyer to attend a CHAP orientation.)
  3. The Buyer must get pre-qualified for primary financing by an Oregon-licensed lender. Check out the State of Oregon -- Housing and Community Services' website:
  4. The Lender must contact Community Development for a current CHAP application packet
  5. The Buyer shops for an eligible property --- finds an affordable house that is in excellent condition
    (Use this guide to help you learn how to look for problem areas in a house)
  6. Buyer and Seller sign a purchase/sale agreement and these required CHAP forms:
    1. Addendum form 02;
    2. Addendum form 03; and
    3. For houses built before 1978, a lead disclosure statement (form 19).
  7. The Buyer orders and pays for whole house inspection and pest & rot inspection
  8. The Lender submits a complete application packet to Clackamas County Community Development.

How long does loan approval take?

Who is eligible to apply?

What are the income limits?

What is the maximum purchase price?

Does the house have to meet certain requirements?

What inspections are required?

Lori Stomps at, 503-655-8591 or
Kevin Ko at, 503-655-8591
General e-mail:

Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. (closed Fridays)

How long does loan approval take?

To be an "Eligible Applicant", the homebuyer must:

To be a "Qualified Borrower", the homebuyer must:

HUD Income Limits
(Gross Annual)

Effective June 15, 2017

Number in Household80% of Median
1 person$41,850
2 persons$47,800
3 persons$53,800
4 persons$59,750
5 persons$64,550
6 persons$69,350
7 persons$74,100
8 persons$78,900

To be an "Eligible Property", the house must:

Inspections required:

The CHAP program is funded by a grant from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The program is subject to funding availability. Homes purchased through the CHAP program must be the primary residence of the homebuyer. Other program requirements apply.

If you have a question or would like to request more information, please call: 503-655-8591.


Share this page

Public Services Building

Community Development

Phone number 503-655-8591
Address 2051 Kaen Road
Oregon City, OR 97045