CLASSIFICATION NO. 035
BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
Under direction, to plan, coordinate and implement the County's business retention, growth and recruitment strategy; to coordinate business and economic development activities with other divisions and departments; to provide highly complex staff assistance to department administration; and to do other work as required.
The Department of Business and Community Services provides programs and services to County residents and businesses through the North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District (NCPRD), Library Services, Parks and Property Resources, Business and Economic Development, Library Network and Veterans Services divisions.
The Business and Economic Development Coordinator is responsible for the implementation of plans and projects designed to recruit and retain businesses and enhance tourism and rural economic development as outlined by the County's business retention and recruitment strategy and Economic Development Commission (EDC) work plan. Incumbents within this classification represent the County and/or Department on various local, regional, state and federal boards and committees for the purpose of ensuring Clackamas County has a voice in regional economic development strategies and ensuring our success in regional and State policy and program development.
The Business and Economic Development Coordinator differs from the Development Review Coordinator which is responsible for the planning and management of the largest and most complex residential, commercial and industrial development projects.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides key economic, financial and community information and advice to businesses seeking to establish or expand business and tourism opportunities in Clackamas County; provides business assistance and customer service support to businesses.
- Researches and develops financing options; writes grants and oversees administration process; prepares reports and correspondence related to projects; develops requests for proposals; negotiates and monitors contracts; administers and directs project grants; monitors funds, authorizes payments; reports to Board of County Commissioners on status of projects.
- Prepares economic development budget proposals and grant applications to enhance County economic development; develops work plans and budgets for the Business and Economic Development Team; monitors costs; develops fund balance projections and prepares reports; coordinates funding, planning, and intergovernmental agreements with other government agencies.
- Represents the County and/or Department on various boards, governmental agencies, chambers and committees to ensure the County remains economically competitive for industrial and business recruitment and tourism and rural economic development.
- Develops and maintains strategic relationships with commercial and industrial realtors, developers and tourism partners for the purpose of assisting business and key industries with growth, expansion and site assistance.
- Develops, maintains and coordinates all economic and industrial data; coordinates industrial lands portfolio development; creates maps using the GIS program; performs complex market research and develops competitive intelligence and industry trend scans.
- Provides administrative support to the Regional Strategies, Rural Investment Fund and Tourism Action Plan programs, and administers the County's Enterprise Zone programs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Public sector economic development processes and practices; governmental commercial and industrial planning; zoning and land use development laws, regulations, and processes; public financing methods and grants research and development; marketing methods for attracting and retaining commerce; principles of community organization and citizen involvement; visual communication principles and practices; principles and practices of budget and project management; contract preparation and administration; public speaking techniques; basic math; English grammar and composition.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; analyze and evaluate complex economic and financial data; develop marketing materials and programs to attract and retain commercial enterprises; lead, organize and staff advisory committees, taskforces and meetings; prepare and deliver oral presentations to public and private groups; analyze and evaluate complex data and make recommendations; creatively resolve commercial development issues between employers and governmental organizations; prepare clear and concise reports; interpret and apply appropriate laws, regulations and codes; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other County personnel; operate computer software, including data bases and GIS system mapping and other office equipment.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.