CLASSIFICATION NO. 039
BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Under direction, plan, organize, direct and supervise functions and assigned staff within the County's Business & Economic Development (BED) division within the Department of Business & Community Services; and to do other work as required or assigned.
The Department of Business and Community Services (BCS) provides programs and services to County residents and businesses through multiple divisions including: BED, the North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District (NCPRD), County Parks, County Library and Library Network Services, County Fair, and Property Resources.
The BED Manager is responsible for the management, coordination and implementation of economic development strategies and projects for Clackamas County. The incumbent is also responsible for supervising the Business and Economic Development Coordinator positions and other support staff within the BED division.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops and oversees business development strategies, goals and objectives and manages staff to implement and execute developed strategies; provides vision, leadership and direction on major strategic initiatives and projects.
- Provides technical assistance and customer service focused on traded-sector businesses wanting to establish or remain and expand in the county.
- Coordinates responses to inquiries, resolution of complaints, problems or emergencies related to area of responsibility; responds to the most sensitive or complex inquiries and service complaints and facilitates resolutions that may involve Planning, Engineering and Building Services divisions, other County departments and County Service Districts; creates goals and objectives designed to improve relations between the private and public sectors.
- Hires and supervises professional staff to provide quality service to citizens, businesses, organizations and County staff; coordinates activities of staff; plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; prepares and conducts performance evaluations; initiates and implements progressive disciplinary action as warranted; resolves grievances and other personnel matters; provides training opportunities and career development as appropriate; promotes cooperative team efforts among staff and with other departments.
- Provides liaison and support to private-sector commercial enterprises; ensures positive development of industrial and employment land that support creation of a family wage job market and positive working relationships with the County.
- Develops marketing materials and programs that promote Clackamas County as being “Open for Business” among site selectors, developers and the business community in general to attract business to Clackamas County.
- Manages and coordinates the activities of the division's business assistance programs, including County or State incentives, grants and loans.
- Establishes partnerships with other jurisdictions and the state and federal government in the development of strategies and funding needed to support regional economic development; participates in organizations and task forces as needed to network and represent Clackamas County in regional and state-wide economic development initiatives; coordinates funding and planning of intergovernmental agreements with other government entities.
- Manages departmental and business development events and serves as County representative for public involvement on special committees and groups; functions as primary contact for information and assistance regarding economic development programs and projects.
- Attends Board of Clackamas County Commissioner meetings and meetings with other public agencies including council meetings of cities within Clackamas County as needed; provides staff support to the County Economic Development Commission (EDC); participates as a member of and/or leads various Chambers and other civic, private or public organizations to promote business and economic development programs.
- Participates as a member of the BCS management team; coordinates with BCS management to prepare, administer and monitor BED division annual budget; administers various grant applications and grant funding to enhance County economic development efforts.
- Perform other related duties as assigned including project assistance to other departments.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Public and private sector economic development processes and practices, including; marketing methods for attracting and retaining commerce; private sector business practices, including business plan development, business financing and business development strategies; traded-sector vs. non-traded sector businesses; industry cluster concept and strategies; marketing, promotion and public relations; zoning and land use development laws, regulations, and processes, infrastructure development; public financing methods and grants management; governmental planning principles and practices of personnel, budget and project management.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; analyze and evaluate complex economic and financial data; develop marketing strategies, materials and programs to promote, attract and retain business enterprises; establish effective working relationships with private sector and public organizations as well as internal county staff and elected officials; devise policies and strategies based on research and understanding of local and regional economic development activities; creatively resolve business development issues between businesses and governmental organizations; plan, coordinate and supervise staff and functions of division; proficient in the use of computer software programs, including databases and GIS system mapping.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.