CLASSIFICATION NO. 049
ASSISTANT ELECTIONS MANAGER
Under direction, to assist in the planning, organization and management of all general and special elections held in the County; to ensure elections procedures and records comply with statutory requirements; to supervise technical and clerical support personnel as assigned; and to do other work as required.
The County Clerk's Office is responsible for conducting elections, maintaining official records and coordinating the Board of Property Tax Appeals which resolves property assessment appeals.
The Assistant Elections Manager is responsible for assisting the Elections Manager in managing the technical and administrative activities of the Elections Division, including voter registration, candidate filing, ballot preparation, voting, vote tallying, jurisdictional mapping, reporting, and other requirements related to conducting special, primary, and general elections in compliance with federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and rules.
The Assistant Elections Manager differs from the Elections Manager, which has full responsibility for the Elections Division, and from Records and Elections Technician positions which perform the technical and administrative functions of the County Clerk's Office, but do not have supervisory or management responsibilities.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts on behalf of the Elections Manager in his/her absence; assists in the management of the Elections Division of the County Clerk's Office; oversees and coordinates the activities of personnel involved in voter registration, computerized and manual record keeping, verification of petitions, filings by candidates, preparation of ballots and voter pamphlets, reconciliation of ballot inventory, and all election day activities and subsequent reports.
- Consults with County Clerk, County Counsel, and state agencies regarding statutes and administrative rules affecting division operations; assists in the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures to meet legal requirements; coordinates election processes with state, county, city, school, water, fire and other special districts.
- Participates in the preparation of division budget; monitors budget expenditures; collects and disburses filing fees; administers the computation of elections costs and bills the state, cities and special districts.
- Participates in the negotiation and administration of contracts for services and materials and equipment; coordinates typesetting, layout and printing of voter's pamphlets and ballots; determines cost feasibility of special projects and implementation of new programs or procedures.
- Confers with the County data processing division and vendors to develop, implement and maintain computer equipment, programs and data base files used to store, track and retrieve information on voter registration, signature verification, district maps and elections results; researches new technology to improve system efficiency and accuracy.
- Hires and supervises assigned technical elections personnel to provide quality service to citizens and County staff; prepares performance evaluations; recommends and administers progressive discipline; conducts and/or facilitates staff training and development programs; promotes cooperative team efforts among staff and with other County departments; hires and trains large numbers of temporary personnel for election activities.
- Acts as a representative of the Elections Division and County Clerk in maintaining liaison with other County, state and federal offices; participates in exchanging information, developing cooperative programs and formulating legislation; attends professional conferences and meetings.
- Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public, candidates and special interest groups; assists with the initiative or recall petition process; supplies news media with elections information.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: State of Oregon statutes, rules, and regulations governing the duties of the County Clerk and proper elections procedures; procedures used to conduct elections for special districts; abstraction of election results; scheduling and recounting of election results.
Working knowledge of: Principles and practices of management and supervision; participative management theories; techniques of budgeting and fiscal administration; data processing applications for elections management; certification and billing of election costs; procedures involved in preparing and printing ballots, letters, pamphlets and related election forms and materials; modern office practices and procedures.
Skill to: Analyze, interpret, and apply federal and state statutes, legal opinions, and administrative rules; develop and implement cost effective programs, policies and procedures; plan, organize and direct division operations and assigned personnel; prepare and administer an approved budget; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; direct staff in continuous efforts to improve quality productivity and effectiveness; incorporate team participation in decision making; respond to changes desired by citizens and County staff; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, the news media, private organizations and government agencies.
Duties require ability to lift and carry 30 pounds and extended standing during ballot tabulation.
This position may include periodic evening and weekend work as required by cyclical elections activities.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.