CLASSIFICATION NO. 055
MARKETING PROGRAM SPECIALIST
Under direction, to market, advertise and promote the North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District's mission, services, programs and events to develop a broad base of community support; to create and maximize a relevant, distinctive and cohesive North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District brand; and to do other work as required.
The North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District manages developed and natural parks, trails, as well as recreational facilities to provide recreation programs and activities to District citizens.
The Marketing Program Specialist develops, promotes and maintains an integrated and creative marketing and advertising program. The incumbent defines and effectively manages the District's brand to promote the District's mission and purpose to the community.
The Marketing Program Specialist differs from the Community Relations Specialist within Public and Government Affairs which assists management of a large County department in developing effective public and media affairs strategies, community and business outreach programs, and internal communication methods. It also differs from the Public Affairs Coordinator that plans, organizes and coordinates the County’s media and business relations activities and from the Public Affairs Manager who supervises staff and is responsible for the development, coordination and implementation of programs and activities related to County-wide media, business and community relations.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops the annual District-wide marketing plan; defines, recommends and implements brand and communications guidelines and standards; ensures brand strategies align with District's business plan; ensures effective promotion of events and facilities; ensures marketing materials are joined in a cohesive manner to successfully promote the District's brand, mission, programs and services.
- Creates and maintains the marketing communication style guide; defines the look, tone and feel of the District's brand; selects colors, photographs, typography, personality, voice, tone, manner and behaviors; ensures brand and style guide is relevant, distinctive and effective; conducts analysis and periodical reviews of the brand and public's perception to enhance the brand’s recognition and effectiveness.
- Executes the annual marketing plan; prepares effective marketing and advertising materials for print, television, radio and electronic (e-mail, web and social media) distribution channels; conducts general brand awareness campaigns, and specific and targeted program and facility promotions.
- Manages District's website to showcase District's mission, values, facilities and programs; creates, coordinates and maintains website content and assists in website development; reviews web content for accuracy and appropriateness; responds to questions, requests and input generated from the public, County's website and other sources.
- Ensures brand usage and integrity of the marketing communication style guide throughout District's communications, programs and activities; provides guidance to District staff on the correct and effective use of the District brand; engages with subject matter experts within the District staff to ensure accurate content in all marketing materials.
- Explores new, creative advertising/marketing strategies to promote District program and services; identifies and recommends new markets, marketing techniques and distribution channels.
- Represents District within the local community including interaction with local businesses, organizations, schools and the public.
- Prepares, administers and monitors District's annual marketing and advertising budgets; analyzes marketing effectiveness and return on investment; explores public-private marketing partnerships for opportunities to lower costs and/or produce new revenue sources for District.
- Acts as liaison to other County departments such as Public and Governmental Affairs (PGA) Department and Technical Services (TS) Department regarding District's marketing plan and website; ensures District's marketing, website and external communications strategies are effective with County-wide activities and policies.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: Marketing and public relations techniques and strategies including fundamentals of design and print production; principles and techniques of public relations, customer satisfaction, and public and extemporaneous speaking; multimedia and print media production and presentation; English composition and language; media practices and procedures; web management concepts, tools and software.
Skill to: Effectively communicate, both orally and in writing; write and produce effective marketing materials; work independently and use sound judgment and initiative with work projects and when representing the District; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County and other agency staff, the media and the public; compile and analyze data and develop recommendations; complete assigned projects within established budget, schedule and legal guidelines; operate computer software to generate marketing, advertising and brand materials.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.