CLASSIFICATION NO. 067
ASSESSMENT AND TAXATION CLERK 1
Under supervision, to provide customer assistance and information; to process and maintain a variety of records and documents relating to Assessment and Taxation of real and personal property; and to do other work as required.
The Assessor's Office is responsible for the mapping and appraisal of property in the County, the preparation of property assessment and taxation rolls and the collection and distribution of property taxes. This department provides services to all government jurisdictions in the County, including schools, cities and special taxing districts.
The Assessment and Taxation (A&T) Clerk 1 is the first working level with the A&T Clerk classification series. Incumbents provide customer service via telephone and in person regarding Assessment and Taxation records and department procedures and regulations.
The A&T Clerk 1 differs from the A&T Clerk 2 which has greater independence and lead responsibility for a function requiring specialized knowledge in Assessment and Taxation. The A&T Clerk 1 differs from the Office Specialist classifications that do not perform the specialized duties of assessment and taxation functions.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Communicates with the public, other County departments and related business agencies via switchboard, telephone or in person; answers questions regarding Assessment and Taxation departmental procedures and regulations according to established guidelines, regulations, instructions, and statutes; assists customers with questions regarding information contained in the Assessment and Taxation rolls.
- Locates property on a map or in a database; researches and retrieves archived information; prepares maps; receives and verifies that required documents accompany a variety of applications or returns.
- Code and enter data in a variety of software applications that include changing ownership or mailing addresses ad inventory for real or personal property.
- Collects and receipts payments for current or researched Assessment and Taxation records; balances receipt of monies in general cash box on daily basis.
- Cashiers and receipts property tax payments in database software; prepares bank deposits; balances cash drawer.
- Maintains and retrieves files for a variety of records; scans, identifies and files documents; prepares records for storage and/or destruction; opens and distributes mail to appropriate staff or work section.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Assessment and taxation laws, rules and regulations governing real and personal property; public and customer service techniques; office operations, procedures, and equipment; cash handling procedures; business math; English spelling, punctuation, grammar and composition.
Skill to: Operate switchboard with multiple incoming lines and route calls appropriately within department; accurately perform tasks and duties following established procedures and policies; provide assistance and information to customers; effectively communicate, both orally and in writing; work effectively in a multi-task and deadline driven environment; handle a high volume of customers via telephone or in person; perform arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy; effectively operate office equipment, including personal computer hardware and software applications; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, title companies, government agencies, staff and other County employees.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.