CLASSIFICATION NO. 119
DEPUTY SHERIFF, RECRUIT
Under close supervision, assist in a training capacity in the investigation of complaints and other problems relating to criminal law enforcement in the County; and to do other work as required.
Incumbents work under close supervision of an enforcement officer of higher grade, who assigns and reviews work details and conformance to laws, policies, rules and regulations.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists and trains in the procedures and conduct of investigation and interrogations, gathering evidence and taking statements of offenders.
- Assists and trains in patrolling roads, highways and business areas in the enforcement of traffic and criminal laws; assists and trains in patrolling rivers and lakes in patrol boat enforcing water safety laws and regulations.
- Learns procedures for maintaining records and preparing reports necessary for efficient investigations, crime prevention, prosecution and office procedures.
- Learns to operate radar in the enforcement of speed laws.
- Assists and trains in procedures and techniques for making arrests, booking prisoners, transporting prisoners and patients under custody to institutions, courts and on extraditions.
- Learns to serve subpoenas and warrants of arrest.
- Receives instruction and assists in informing the public and answering inquiries regarding laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Learns procedures and appears in court as a witness.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Skill to: Comprehend pertinent federal, state, and local laws and ordinances; utilize properly police equipment and techniques; understand and follow instructions and directions; deal with the public in a firm but courteous manner; capacity to absorb training in knowledge of police practices and techniques of investigation; good physical condition; establish and maintain effective working relationships; communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation including national fingerprint records check.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Graduation from a senior high school and ability to meet age and physical requirements; or any satisfactory equivalent combination of experience and training.