CLASSIFICATION NO. 296
LAND USE REVIEW COORDINATOR
Under direction, coordinates the development review process within the Engineering Section pertaining to transportation infrastructure; reviews development proposals and plans for County code compliance related to transportation infrastructure; coordinates with developers, County and outside agencies related to street improvement requirements; issues construction permits; and performs other work as required.
The Engineering Section of Transportation Engineering Services, Department of Transportation and Development, provides coordination of development review, code interpretation and compliance for road development and construction planning, and technical assistance in the review and update of codes, ordinances and standards. The Land Use Review Coordinator reports to the Development Review Supervisor, and may provide training and/or act as leadworker for project and temporary staff.
The Land Use Review Coordinator differs from the Engineering Technician IV by its broader focus on planning issues related to transportation, construction and development. It differs from Senior Planner by its involvement in the coordination of the legal and technical aspects of preliminary construction plans and projects, preparation and review of technical engineering reports, and legal interpretations related to transportation, engineering and construction phases of various development projects.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates the development review process within the Engineering Section as it pertains to roads; interprets and applies a complex array of applicable policies, provisions and principals of planning, civil engineering and traffic engineering, and relevant legal aspects of road development; prepares comments on preliminary construction plans; prepares complex technical/professional reports and testifies at public hearings related to land use cases.
- Assists in the development of policies and procedures regarding engineering, traffic safety and transportation issues as they pertain to land use decisions; provides technical assistance in the development and update of codes, standards and ordinances, including the County Road Standard Ordinance and the Clackamas County Zoning and Development Ordinance.
- Attends pre-application conferences for land use proposals; prepares and coordinates conditions of approval for development at various stages of plan review; attends pre-construction conferences; participates as a member of the County Application Response/Review Team; may serve as staff to citizen, internal or multi-agency committees or task forces; conducts field visits to review proposed site as part of comment preparation and plan review.
- Researches and reviews transportation aspects of development proposals; researches effects of proposed developments on public facilities; reviews design plans for compliance with codes, standards, ordinances and other applicable regulations; coordinates with other departments and divisions to determine conditions for development.
- May assign, check and/or evaluate the work of temporary employees and subordinate technical staff; trains new technical staff; may assume lead role in special projects.
- Responds to inquiries from the public and coworkers regarding status, conditions and requirements of proposed developments, construction projects and related issues; represents County transportation infrastructure interests with cities, utility providers, the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the public.
- Coordinates development review comments on behalf of County for developments in cities that take access to County roads; coordinates with ODOT regarding development review comments; represents County transportation infrastructure interests with cities, utility providers, ODOT and the public.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Principles and practices of land use and transportation planning and technical engineering; plans, codes, standards, ordinances and related laws and regulations pertaining to land use, transportation planning, development and construction; principles, practices and techniques associated with development plan review; basic principles of supervision; basic mathematics and algebra; computers and related software.
Skill to: Make decisions pertaining to site design, street layout and public infrastructure improvement extractions required of residential, multi-family, industrial and commercial development; prepare complex technical staff and related reports; interpret codes, standards ordinances, plans and related regulatory statutes and guidelines, and apply appropriately to a variety of land use and development applications, projects, inquiries and situations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, coworkers, officials and supervisors; effectively utilize computers and appropriate software/hardware; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.