CLASSIFICATION NO. 301
Under close supervision, to perform trainee-level technical engineering duties in the field or office; and to do other work as required.
The Engineering Technician series is primarily oriented to performing technical engineering functions to assist in the design, construction and maintenance of public works projects such as roads, bridges, traffic control, street lighting, land monuments, storm drains, sanitary sewer systems and treatment facilities. Positions in this series work under the supervision or direction of an advanced level technician or professional engineer. Individual assignments are generally limited to a particular specialized area, and involve basic engineering knowledge and skills gained through work experience or training programs.
This series is distinguished from professional engineering classifications which require professional certification, registration or licensure, as well as broad general professional knowledge of engineering principles and practices applicable to a variety of complex engineering projects or areas.
The Engineering Aide is the trainee-level in the series. Incumbents perform the most routine and simple technical duties; a higher level technician is available for guidance and review of the incumbent's work during assigned tasks. This classification differs from the higher level Engineering Technician 1 which is assigned duties of a more difficult nature, works with more independence and performs more routine and prescribed technical duties.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists in field studies of traffic movements, vehicle usage and traffic distribution; assists in conducting highway inventories and road condition surveys.
- Performs simple manual drafting work from sketches, field notes, and verbal instructions; plots profiles and cross sections; performs lettering, tracing, and simple drafting on maps, charts and graphs.
- Assists in the performance of routine tests on construction materials.
- Assists in checking simple survey calculations and field notes; makes simple computations to determine excavation quantities and materials requirements.
- Compiles data for preparing or adjusting contract specifications, construction expenditures, field reports, and cost estimates.
- As a member of a field survey crew, assists in measuring and leveling duties to establish or check line, grade, and cross section; learns to operate prism pole, level rod, and other simple survey equipment; marks and drives other obstacles from transit line; performs simple and repetitive computations; may compile field notes.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Some knowledge of: Fundamentals of algebra, geometry and trigonometry; drafting materials and techniques; traffic engineering practices.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; make mathematical calculations using the fundamentals of algebra, geometry and trigonometry; use drafting tools to prepare simple maps and other related drawings; perform moderately strenuous field work in a safe manner; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, contractors and County personnel; maintain records.
Field activities involve moderately strenuous physical activities and incumbents may encounter adverse environmental conditions, inclement weather and traffic hazards. Office activities involve simple repetitive tasks for extended period of time.
Some positions must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.