CLASSIFICATION NO. 303
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN 2
Under general supervision to perform journey-level technical engineering duties in the field or office; and to do other work as required.
The Engineering Technician series is primarily oriented to performing technical engineering functions to assist in the design, construction and maintenance of public works projects such as roads, bridges, traffic control, street lighting, land monuments, storm drains, sanitary sewer systems and treatment facilities. Positions in this series work under the supervision or direction of an advanced level technician or professional engineer. Individual assignments are generally limited to a particular specialized area, and involve basic engineering knowledge and skills gained through work experience or training programs.
This series is distinguished from professional engineering classifications which require professional certification, registration or licensure, as well as broad general professional knowledge of engineering principles and practices applicable to a variety of complex engineering projects or areas.
The Engineering Technician 2 is the full journey-level in this series. Incumbents perform moderately complex technical engineering assignments and may occasionally act as crew chief on temporary, well-defined projects. A professional engineer or higher level technician establishes project or program direction, and is available for guidance, problem solving, and periodic review during the course of the project. This classification differs from the lower level Engineering Technician 1 which performs more routine tasks under close supervision. It also differs from the higher level Engineering Technician 3 which is assigned independent and/or lead work responsibility on designated projects.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- As a member of a field survey crew, operates theodolite, level rod, engineering chain, and other survey instruments of comparable complexity; determines angles and elevation to establish or check line, grade, and cross section; assists in monument recovery and restoration; operates electronic data collection equipment; performs moderately complex computations; may act as crew chief to ensure work is performed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Performs advanced manual or computer aided drafting and design work from sketches, field notes, and verbal instructions; calculates traverse, computes and plots control points in grid coordinates; constructs topographic maps; may review the work of other drafters; may assist and train others in the operation of computer-aided drafting and design software applications.
- Inspects construction or improvement of minor upgrading, surfacing, and drainage structure projects for adherence to established standards and specifications; conducts and supervises field and laboratory tests and analysis of construction materials; accepts or rejects inspected materials on the basis of test results.
- Performs routine research of records; assists in determining metes, bounds, and areas for preparing and compiling legal property descriptions for rights-of-way, easements, annexations, and subdivisions.
- Assists in preparing and adjusting construction cost estimates; prepares cost reports on completed construction projects; prepares periodic estimates of work done as a basis of payment to contractors; performs advanced computations to determine excavation quantities and material requirements for complex design projects; conducts statistical studies and research projects as needed.
- Conducts field studies of traffic movements, vehicle usage and traffic distribution; codes, tabulates and analyzes data; analyzes road costs and road life data; prepares transportation plan maps.
- Performs detailed records research and other office work that assists in the survey of land, determining and reviewing rights-of-way, easements and annexations, and preparing legal property descriptions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Fundamentals of algebra, geometry and trigonometry for the solution of engineering problems; drafting instruments, materials and techniques; principles and practices of land surveying to include operation of surveying instruments; road and drainage facility construction materials and testing procedures; principles of traffic engineering and conveyances; state and federal traffic regulations; property mapping systems; microcomputer software relating to engineering drafting and designing.
Skill to: Read and interpret maps, and engineering and construction plans; gather and correlate data from various sources to produce a final plan, map, or chart; learn to execute microcomputer applications in drafting, designing, and data collection; conduct title and property ownership research and prepare legal documents; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; read, write, and interpret legal descriptions and other legal documents; perform inspections and test construction materials; maintain records and write reports; act as crew chief for a small group of technicians; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, contractors and County personnel.
Field activities include moderately strenuous physical work and incumbents may encounter adverse environmental conditions such as inclement weather and traffic hazards.
Some positions must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.