CLASSIFICATION NO. 312
Under general supervision, to perform moderately complex research, analysis, evaluations, and presentations of proposals that concern the physical, environmental, and economic conditions of Clackamas County; and to do other work as required.
The Planning and Economic Development Division is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining public planning policies and programs to manage land use, marketing, transportation and economic growth within the County.
The Planner classification series is primarily oriented to researching, analyzing, evaluating, presenting, and facilitating proposals which concern the physical, environmental, and economic conditions of the County.
The Planner 2 classification is the journey level position in the Planner series. Incumbents perform moderately complex research and analysis in one or more functional areas, assist in policy formulation and evaluation and advise the public and other agencies on County planning and economic development topics. This classification differs from the Planner, Senior which is assigned additional team leader and/or project management responsibilities.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts research studies on issues pertaining to land use and development, capital improvement programs, urban renewal, park and recreation opportunities, and other planning related issues; analyzes a variety of complex data to assess potential impacts upon future land use and long-range planning goals and to make recommendations concerning future planning policies to the County Planning Commission.
- Serves as technical expert in one or more functional planning areas, such as design review, transportation, or economic development; develops and writes staff reports, correspondence, research papers, work programs and drafts or revisions of ordinances; presents studies and reports to the Planning Commission and/or community groups.
- Advises permit applicants, the public and other agencies on procedures and requirements pertaining to land use regulations, zoning, subdivisions, partitions, annexations, and zoning administrative actions; reviews proposed projects for compliance with zoning and development ordinances.
- Assists in the preparation of comprehensive plans for selected County areas to ensure the efficient use of resources and compliance with long-range County, regional, and state goals.
- Reads, interprets and utilizes information from maps, legal descriptions, statutes, regulations, ordinances, professional literature, and legal and quasi-legal documents.
- May coordinate with other agencies and citizen groups to present proposals and gather information; prepares various written correspondence in response to public and agency inquiries.
- May participate in preparing grant applications and administering grant funds.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Principles, methods, and procedures of city, county, regional and statewide planning; environmental, social, economic, and legal issues related to county planning and development; statistical methods and their application to planning and economic development projects; principles of community organization and citizen involvement; visual communication principles and practices; basic math; English grammar and composition.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; prepare and deliver oral presentations to public and private groups; organize and conduct comprehensive research studies utilizing various sources of information; analyze and evaluate complex data and make recommendations; prepare clear and concise reports; interpret and apply appropriate laws, regulations, and codes; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other County personnel.
Some positions must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.