CLASSIFICATION NO. 373
TOURISM MARKETING ASSISTANT
Under general supervision, to perform paraprofessional, technical and clerical assignments in marketing support; to maintain marketing databases and records; to proofread marketing materials; to research and compile data; to assist in promotions and events; and to do other work as required.
The Clackamas County Tourism & Cultural Affairs Department is the destination marketing organization for Clackamas County. It is funded by the transient room tax charged on all overnight stays in commercial lodging facilities in the county. The department is responsible for strategies that both develop tourism attractions/facilities and market the destination through advertising, promotion, public relations and sales materials. By increasing the number of new and repeat visitors to the County, the department contributes to economic development and local vitality.
The Tourism Marketing Assistant provides marketing and office support to the Community Relations Specialist, Tourism Marketing Supervisor and Executive Director in all areas including maintenance of tourism and marketing databases; fulfillment of requests; proofreading; research for assigned topics; support for projects, promotions and events; is proactive in connections with partners and the community in helping to promote Clackamas County Tourism & Cultural Affairs; and other duties as assigned.
The Tourism Marketing Assistant differs from other administrative and clerical positions by having a distinct focus on marketing, public relations, online, advertising, and promotions in addition to a variety of administrative and office support duties.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- For specialized databases, website database, and photo library, serves as the point person and clerical support for content update, customer service, and problem resolution; updates new tourism businesses; examines data and records for completeness and accuracy; interprets data for proper input to program formats; recommends necessary changes or additions to data gathered or entered; enters basic, complex, and technical data; proofreads computer reports to verify accuracy of input data; trains staff in procedures.
- Prepares and writes basic copy for marketing and public relations materials; provides extensive proofreading for print, web-based materials, and other materials as requested; prepares, reviews and/or coordinates required paperwork to ensure inclusion of current information and required documentation; proofreads text for grammar, clarity, punctuation, spelling, and informational accuracy without altering author's intent.
- Assists in the coordination of the cooperative advertising program; coordinates solicitation of tourism participants; coordinates delivery of placement materials and deadlines; maintains and communicates schedule; maintains effective working relationships with partners; provides clerical support to the contracted advertising agency.
- Collects and compiles information and data for reports and other materials for use in operational planning and evaluation of services; sets up, updates and maintains such reports.
- Assists with the successful implementation of promotions and department events; assists as directed in Travel Oregon/regional promotions; fulfills promotional requests; participates in logistics for events; as a team member, communicates with partners and the public in representing Clackamas County Tourism & Cultural Affairs.
- Provides administrative and clerical support to the marketing function and the department as a whole; provides initial itinerary development and schedules tours; recommends to supervisor improvements to practices and procedures; participates in the preparation and administrative review of contract documents; provides centralized response to customer service questions; consults with program and office staff to establish and revise clerical systems, files and recordkeeping procedures to meet specific program needs; provides backup support to staff when needed.
- Researches assigned topics to gather information for improving current and/or future marketing programs; checks facts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: The support services role in marketing including advertising, sales, public relations, promotions, online social media outlets, and destination management; the tourism industry gained through education and/or work experience in areas such as customer service within tourism destinations, hospitality, or tourism marketing; Clackamas County tourism product; public/government agencies; proper office procedures and practices; standard office equipment, including computer systems and software programs such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, and specialized database programs; English spelling, punctuation, grammar and composition; math, including statistical calculations; research techniques and procedures.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationship with the public, staff, clients, partners, and personnel of other businesses in a courteous, professional manner; independently, accurately and effectively perform assigned tasks and duties; setup and prepare data for calculations, reports and charts; write basic marketing copy; edit and proof with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail; operate office equipment and computer software including specialized database programs and website administrative maintenance at an intermediate level; prioritize and organize work to meet deadlines; use independent judgment and discretion; successfully work on multiple projects and deadlines; discern level of appropriate involvement when interacting with contacts, leads, and partners.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.