CLASSIFICATION NO. 412
ROAD OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR
Under general direction, to plan, organize and supervise the activities and assigned personnel performing road, bridge, traffic and equipment maintenance work, including installation, construction, inspection, and maintenance; to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations; and to do other work as required.
The Transportation and Maintenance Division within the Department of Transportation and Development maintains the County's roads, bridges, culverts, traffic signals, and buildings and equipment related to road and ferry systems.
The Road Operations Supervisor directs personnel in all traffic control projects and activities, road construction and maintenance, bridge construction, maintenance and repair, and equipment management, maintenance and repair. Incumbents may supervise any of the traffic, roads, Canby ferry system, bridge or equipment maintenance functional areas and may rotate assignments as necessary.
The Road Maintenance Supervisor differs from the Road Maintenance Workers, Bridge Maintenance Workers, and Traffic Control and Signal personnel who perform manual tasks and operations within the Roads Department. It is distinguished from senior level personnel that it supervises which may functionally lead and guide other Road Operations personnel. It also differs from the Road Operations Manager which directs and coordinates all functions related to the construction, inspection, maintenance and repair of the County's road, bridge, and traffic control system.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Plans schedules and manages projects; identifies construction and maintenance requirements within area of responsibility; determines efficient staffing levels and requisitions labor, equipment and supplies; ensures the completion of projects as scheduled.
- Develops, budget and annual work program for assigned functional area; participates in developing Division annual and supplemental budget; prepares cost analyses, time estimates and detailed material specifications; explains cost variances; determines optimal alternatives to transportation activities; approves and monitors expenditures for assigned functional area.
- Hires and supervises regular and temporary road, bridge, traffic, equipment maintenance and ferry workers to provide quality service to citizens and County staff; prepares performance evaluations; recommends and administers progressive discipline; conducts and/or facilitates staff training and development programs; promotes cooperative team efforts among staff and with other County departments.
- Oversees the annual inspection and inventory management of County transportation infrastructure (roads, bridges, traffic control systems, road surfaces, culverts, guardrails, curbs, etc.); identifies hazards, determines maintenance requirements, and prioritizes activities based on condition and funding; responds to public inquiries and investigates complaints; determines and implements appropriate corrective action.
- Ensures compliance with safety procedures and environmental quality regulations; reviews safety concerns and suggestions with management and assigned staff; assists in planning and implementing safety training programs; supervises the handling and disposal of construction materials and hazardous substances, such as asphalt, oil and herbicides.
- Responds to emergency road and bridge hazards, such as fallen trees, chemical spills, snow and ice, mud slides and flooding; recommends and implements road, bridge, and ferry closures.
- Represents the County with local government agencies, cities, advisory boards and the public; coordinates intergovernmental problem solving and cooperative activities; responds to inquiries and investigates complaints.
- Oversees operations requiring conditional use permits; ensures compliance with permit requirements.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in construction, maintenance, inspection and repair; structure and condition of all County roads, bridge, traffic control systems and related drainage systems; pavement and bridge maintenance systems; fleet management practices; traffic control systems; surface water management and drainage systems; Federal, State and local statutes, regulations, laws rules, ordinances and codes relating to road structures, road drainage systems, transportation system construction specifications, environmental quality; right-of-way, excavation and grading; occupational hazards and safety precautions; safe operation of construction and maintenance equipment; principles and techniques of supervision and budgeting; participative management theories; general principals of physical and natural sciences.
Skill to: Prepare and administer budgets; prepare schedules and cost estimates for construction and maintenance projects; supervise the completion of projects within established time and budget guidelines; read and interpret contracts; interpret blueprints, plans and specifications; inspect roads, bridges, traffic control, drainage systems for deficiencies; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; direct staff in continuous efforts to improve quality productivity and effectiveness; ensures specifications, equipment and projects compliance with County, State, and Federal requirements; incorporate team participation in decision making; respond to changes desired by citizens and county staff; establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, officials of government agencies other County employees and the public.
Duties require on-site visits and exposure to loud noises, heavy equipment, hazardous materials, busy road traffic, slippery and/or uneven surfaces, and adverse weather conditions.
Subject to 24 hour "on call" availability.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.