CLASSIFICATION NO. 441
TRAFFIC OPERATIONS SPECIALIST
Under general supervision, to design, construct and maintain an inventory of traffic control and other signs and markings; to lead the work of County and temporary employees in sign shop; and to do other work as required.
The Traffic Control Section within the Transportation Engineering and Surveying Division is responsible for the traffic control devices on County roads. This section performs activities involved in the design, layout, construction, installation and maintenance of all traffic control devices including traffic signs, traffic signals, traffic control lines and symbols, pavement marking and channelization.
The Traffic Operations Specialist designs and constructs a variety of signs used by the County and other public agencies. The incumbent maintains an inventory of traffic control devices, materials and supplies, prepares bid proposals and specifications and assists with budget preparation and administration. The Traffic Operations Specialist trains and coordinates the work of other County and/or temporary employees.
The Traffic Operations Specialist differs from the Traffic Control Worker which installs, replaces and repairs traffic control signs and paints traffic markings and symbols. It also differs from the Traffic Signal Technician which performs electronic and electrical maintenance and repair requiring a Limited Maintenance Electrician's License.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Design, construct and repair a variety of signs, banners and posters; silk screens signs; adheres sign faces to proper sized wood or metal sign blanks; creates design and stencil material using computer software to combine letters and symbols; formats and cuts to desired size; cuts and spray paints plywood for usable sign blanks; engraves and installs signs composed of plastic laminates; prioritizes orders to ensure adequate sign supplies.
- Coordinates work requests with customers; interprets sketches, verbal descriptions and written work orders; resolves discrepancies; clarifies laws and regulations regarding signs such as size, shape and color; ensures quality and uniformity of sign construction.
- Leads the work of sign shop County and temporary employees; provides work direction; schedules, assigns and reviews work; trains employees in proper and safe sign construction and equipment operation.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and materials for traffic signs and markings; approves and prepares purchase orders; orders, receives and stores requested materials; drafts bid proposals and recommends contract length; identifies, documents and updates desired materials, and standards and specifications such as quantities and sizes; confers with staff to determine necessary electrical, electronic and other materials and supplies; performs minor maintenance on traffic control and sign construction equipment.
- Completes and maintains project and inventory records; documents work performed; prepares billing documents for completed orders; assists in gathering and evaluating information on potential equipment purchases; maintains, tracks and organizes records on purchasing and receiving; documents type and location of new, existing and replaced signs and pavement markings.
- Assists in preparing and administering budget for traffic control, maintenance and repair; collects data for budget recommendations; assists in preparation of cost analyses, time estimates and detailed material specifications; approves and monitors expenditures for materials, supplies and assigned projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Federal, State and County laws and regulations regarding construction and specifications of traffic control signs and markings; layout techniques; inks, paints, vinyl’s and other sign painting supplies; standard traffic control methods, materials, tools and equipment; occupational hazards and safety precautions; basic maintenance and repair techniques of mechanical equipment, recordkeeping techniques; basic supervisory techniques; basic math; fiscal monitoring and budgeting techniques and procedures; public and customer service techniques.
Skill to: Operate a variety of hand and power tools and equipment such as heat/vacuum application equipment, vinyl and letter cutting machine, engraving machine, saws, forklift and spray paint equipment; design and construct street name, building, window and promotional signs and decals, and name/title plates; prepare signs by hand lettering, stencils, freehand brush or paint spraying; interpret sketches, road maps and blueprints; collect, evaluate and summarize data; prioritize daily assignments; complete and maintain accurate work records; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; estimate time and materials needed for projects; train, assign and review work performed by temporary and County personnel; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with County and other agency personnel, temporary staff, vendors and the public.
Duties require frequent crouching, kneeling, bending, twisting, balancing, reaching, climbing, grasping, fine motor control, and the ability to lift and carry up to 80 pounds. Duties also involve frequent exposure to paint fumes and dust, noise, vibration, adverse weather conditions, and hazardous conditions such as moving traffic, electrical hazards and working at heights on ladders.
Must be available for coordination of after hours on-call emergency response to traffic signal failures, downed signs and road closures.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.