CLASSIFICATION NO. 447
Under general supervision, to operate a cable-guided ferry to transport vehicles and passengers; to perform minor maintenance to ferry equipment; and to do other work as required.
The Roads Division within the Department of Transportation and Development maintains the County's roads, bridges, culverts, building and equipment related to road and ferry systems.
The Ferry Operator safely and efficiently operates the County’s power-driven, cable-guided, open deck ferry located near the City of Canby. Incumbents direct vehicle drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians on and off the ferry and transport passengers across the Willamette River. The Ferry Operator maintains the ferry, equipment and dock areas in a clean, organized and attractive manner.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Operates ferry to transport passengers; directs the loading and unloading of passengers; ties up to and casts off from landing dock; pilots ferry across the river; secures ferry on dry dock area when not in operation; protects ferry from damage due to high water.
- Collects fares from passengers; validates pass or receives cash payment; issues receipts and makes change; sells ferry passes; records and balances monies; prepares and delivers bank deposits; collects and delivers revenue receipts.
- Provides information to the public on ferry operations; promotes ferry's historical value; posts closed signs in local area when ferry is not operating due to repair or weather conditions; updates 24-hour ferry information recording; surveys customers to determine satisfaction and service changes.
- Performs general maintenance, adjustments and minor repairs to ferry equipment; adjusts trolley power cable; checks and replaces signal and cabin lights; maintains hydraulic ramps and hoses; adjusts docks and guide cable; cleans cabin area, including windows; greases blocks, shaft and gate bearings, and stiffeners; checks and fills hydraulic oil; washes deck area of ferry; cuts grass along entrance/exit roadways.
- Maintains and completes ferry operations and maintenance records; completes repair and supply requests; orders and gathers supplies; reviews, completes and delivers payroll records; documents preventative maintenance performed; tracks number of passengers per river crossing; measures and records river level.
- May perform general, semi-skilled bridge or road maintenance duties when ferry is not in operation.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment related to a power-driven ferry; hazards and safety precautions when operating a ferry and other mechanical equipment; navigational regulations regarding ferry operations; inspection methods and procedures; public and customer service techniques; basic math; basic recordkeeping techniques.
Skill to: Operate ferry and transport vehicles and passengers over water following prescribed safety procedures; respond quickly and appropriately in emergencies; complete and maintain accurate records; communicate effective, both orally and in writing; operate and perform limited maintenance and repair on powered equipment; accurately count, record and balance monies; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and the public.
Incumbents are exposed to inclement weather. Positions require frequent standing and walking, and the ability to pull objects.
Possession of United States Coast Guard Cable Ferry Operator License or license of greater capability.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test (US Coast Guard regulations).
First Aid/CPR Certification.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.