CLASSIFICATION NO. 453
PARK MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT
Under close supervision, to perform manual and semiskilled labor and equipment operation in the maintenance of park grounds, structures and facilities; and to do other work as required.
The Park Maintenance Assistant performs routine maintenance and cleaning of landscaped areas, recreation facilities and undeveloped grounds in parks owned, maintained or operated by the County or the North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District. Some duties involve maintenance and minor repair of park buildings, structures and equipment.
The Park Maintenance Assistant differs from the Park Maintenance Specialist which performs skilled and semiskilled park maintenance work. It also differs from the Building Maintenance Assistant which performs limited grounds maintenance, but is primarily responsible for the cleaning and minor repair of buildings.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Participates in maintaining landscaped and undeveloped terrain; mows, waters, weeds, rakes and edges lawns and natural areas; installs turf; applies fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides; assists in the installation and repair of manual and automatic irrigation systems.
- Prepares and maintains planting areas; tills soil and mixes in soil amendments; plants, transplants, mulches, prunes and fertilizes flowers, shrubs and trees.
- Constructs, maintains and renovates walkways and trails; clears brush and debris; hauls and spreads gravel, wood chips and bark dust; sweeps paved walks and parking areas; installs and repairs gates, barriers, fences and signs.
- Assists in the construction and maintenance of sports fields and recreation areas; lays out and marks playing fields; moves and arranges equipment; repairs and installs back stops, bases, goal posts, bleachers, picnic tables and recreation equipment.
- Maintains and assists in repairing park facilities, including rest rooms, recreation buildings, shelters and swimming pools; sweeps and scrubs walls, floors, ceilings and plumbing fixtures; removes garbage and litter; restocks supplies.
- Performs preventive maintenance and makes minor repairs to equipment, including mowers, sprinkler systems, edgers, chippers, plumbing fixtures and electrical outlets.
- Assists with horticultural greenhouse work; propagates, cultivates and cares for a variety of trees, shrubs, ground covers and other plants.
- May occasionally oversee the work of volunteers, temporary employees or community service workers on assigned projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Techniques and practices of grounds, landscape and building maintenance; use, operation, maintenance and repair of building and park maintenance equipment and tools, including trailers, mowers, edgers, chain saws and other hand and power tools, basic safety practices and procedures; methods for handling hazardous materials, including landscaping chemicals, paints and thinners, gasoline, pool chemicals and cleaning solutions; public service techniques.
Some knowledge of: Basic techniques of painting, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and cement finishing.
Skill to: Safely operate manual and power tools; repair and maintain small gasoline engines; install and repair underground irrigation systems, including water scheduling and programming of automatic irrigation controls; read and understand maps, landscaping plans and specifications; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees, contractors, volunteers and the public; prepare and maintain accurate records and reports; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Duties are performed outdoors in a variety of conditions, including excessive temperatures, inclement weather and exposure to various hazardous chemicals. Positions require strenuous physical exertion and agility, including stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, pulling and lifting objects.
Within six (6) months of hire: Some positions require a State of Oregon Pesticide Applicator license.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.