CLASSIFICATION NO. 455
PARK MAINTENANCE SPECIALIST
Under general supervision, to perform skilled and semiskilled labor and equipment operation in the maintenance of park grounds, structures and facilities; and to do other work as required.
The Park Maintenance Specialist maintains and repairs landscaped areas, recreation facilities, undeveloped grounds, buildings, structures and equipment in parks owned, maintained or operated by the County or the North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District. Incumbents regularly serve as a team leader overseeing other maintenance employees, community service workers and contractors on a variety of landscaping, maintenance and repair projects. The Park Maintenance Specialist inspects park grounds and facilities and makes recommendations on repair and improvement projects, methods and equipment purchases.
The Park Maintenance Specialist differs from the Building Maintenance Specialist which performs skilled and semiskilled maintenance and repair work on buildings and related mechanical and electrical systems.
It also differs from the Park Maintenance Assistant which does not plan and coordinate park maintenance projects.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Schedules, leads and coordinates the work of regular, temporary and court assigned personnel in park maintenance and landscaping activities; trains individuals in the safe operation of tools and equipment; assists in evaluating employee performance.
- Maintains landscaped and undeveloped terrain; mows, weeds, rakes and edges lawns and natural areas; installs turf; applies fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides; installs, operates and repairs manual and automatic irrigation systems; tills soil and mixes in soil amendments; plants, transplants, mulches, prunes and-fertilizes flowers, shrubs and trees.
- Assists in landscape planning and maintenance of planting areas; selects and purchases plants for landscaping areas according to plans and specifications; plans and coordinates the use of equipment and materials on maintenance and repair projects; researches prices and availability of equipment and materials; purchases daily maintenance supplies.
- Constructs, maintains and renovates walkways and trails; clears brush and debris; hauls and spreads gravel, wood chips and bark dust; installs and repairs gates, barriers, fences and signs; sweeps paved walks and parking areas.
- Maintains and repairs sports fields and recreation areas; lays out and marks playing fields; moves and arranges equipment; repairs and installs back stops, bases, goal posts, bleachers, picnic tables and recreation equipment.
- Recommends and participates in repair and improvement of park facilities, including rest rooms, recreation buildings, shelters and swimming pools; sweeps and scrubs walls, floors, ceilings and plumbing fixtures; performs carpentry, painting, minor plumbing and minor electrical work.
- Performs or arranges for preventive maintenance and repairs to equipment, including mowers, sprinkler systems, edgers, chippers, plumbing fixtures and electrical outlets; purchases gasoline, oil, parts and supplies; recommends the purchase of maintenance equipment.
- Performs horticultural greenhouse work; propagates, cultivates and cares for a variety of trees, shrubs, ground covers and other plants.
- Prepares and maintains records on vehicle and equipment maintenance/service schedules, daily employee work schedules, condition of park lands, price and availability of equipment, materials and supplies.
- Responds to questions, complaints and requests for service from the public; provides information on park rules and regulations, history, plants and animals; coordinates activities with caretakers, concessionaires, park rangers, law enforcement officials, volunteer groups and maintenance contractors.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Techniques and practices of grounds, landscape and building maintenance; use, operation, maintenance and repair of building and park maintenance equipment and tools, including trailers, tractors, mowers, blowers, edgers, chain saws and other hand and power tools; occupational hazards and basic safety practices and procedures; methods for handling hazardous materials, including landscaping chemicals, paints and thinners, gasoline, pool chemicals and cleaning solutions; basic techniques of painting, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and cement finishing; public service techniques.
Some knowledge of: Techniques of supervision.
Skill to: Safely operate motor vehicles and manual and power tools; repair and maintain small gasoline engines; install and repair underground irrigation systems, including water scheduling and programming of automatic irrigation controls; read and understand landscaping plans and specifications; plan and oversee the work of assigned maintenance crews; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with County employees, contractors, community service workers, volunteers and the public; enforce park rules and regulations; prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
Duties are performed outdoors in a variety of conditions, including excessive temperatures, inclement weather and exposure to various hazardous chemicals. Positions require strenuous physical exertion and agility, including stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, pulling and lifting objects.
Within six (6) months of hire: Some positions require a State of Oregon Pesticide Applicator license.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.