CLASSIFICATION NO. 458
Under general supervision, to assist in the evaluation and disposition of surplus County real and/or personal property; to conduct field inspections; to assist in the promotion and conduct of public auction or other sales of properties; and to do other work as required.
The Property Resources Section within the Business and Community Services Department is responsible for managing and disposing of real and/or personal property that is in County ownership.
The Property Agent assists the Property Agent, Senior in evaluating and preparing surplus County property for sale or disposal. This classification markets surplus properties and coordinates public auctions and private sales, the transfer of real and personal property, easements and leases and answers inquiries regarding properties from the public.
The Property Agent differs from the Property Appraiser, which inspects, classifies, and determines market value appraisals of property for value assessment purposes.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Reviews the listing of real property set for property tax foreclosure proceedings; Research properties and obtain property information necessary for foreclosure; collect information from other governmental agencies with jurisdiction on properties.
- Assists with inspections of properties including site visits; determines possible liabilities and mitigation steps necessary to proceed with disposal of property; determine availability for sale and appropriate sale methods.
- Assists with the preparation, coordination and conduct of public sales of properties; secures locations for public auctions and other public sales; assists in the coordination of public sales with the Sheriff’s Office and County Counsel; assists in the advertisement and promotion of properties available for sale; prepares information packets for public review prior to sales.
- Receives public inquiries regarding County property from citizens, investors and speculators; explains State and County procedures involved in the sale of properties; prepares correspondence.
- Develops and maintains record keeping systems and other administrative support for the Property section; coordinates and maintains documents such as property lists, contracts, leases, and mailing lists; assists with the preparation of paperwork involved in the transfer of real and personal property, easements and leases.
- Assists the County Purchasing Department with the preparation of bid specifications; reviews and recommends award selections from submitted materials; monitors bid process for compliance with State statutes and contract specifications.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Laws, rules, policies and practices regarding tax foreclosure and public auctions; real estate title transfer transactions; basic math; English grammar and composition; property maintenance and construction principles; purchasing and contracting processes and requirements.
Skill to: Interpret and apply statutes, ordinances and County policies and procedures; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; organize and maintain office/administrative systems and procedures; compose correspondence requiring initiative and judgment; conduct independent research; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, service providers, other governmental agencies, citizen groups and the public; operate office equipment, including computer hardware and software.
Occasional duties in the field require walking, twisting, balancing, and involve exposure to inclement weather, noise, and slippery and/or uneven terrain.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.