CLASSIFICATION NO. 472
BUILDING MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT
Under supervision, to perform a variety of manual and semiskilled maintenance tasks for County buildings and ground facilities; and to do other work as required.
The Building Maintenance series is used by County departments to provide maintenance, repair, and remodeling of County owned and leased building structures and related systems.
The Building Maintenance Assistant performs a variety of janitorial, landscape maintenance and building repair tasks. Assignments may be performed independently or as a part of a crew.
The Building Maintenance Assistant differs from the Building Maintenance Specialist which maintains heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, various mechanical, plumbing and structural systems and reviews the work of contractors.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Cleans and maintains buildings; sweeps, scrubs, strips and polishes floor surfaces; applies wax, acrylic or other materials to hard surfaces; scrubs walls, ceilings and plumbing fixtures; removes garbage and litter; restocks supplies.
- Cleans and maintains landscaped areas; mows, rakes, edges and weeds lawns; trims shrubbery and cuts brush; irrigates and fertilizes lawns and planted areas; plants shrubs and ornamentals; maintains irrigation systems; picks up and disposes of trash from landscape and parking areas.
- Performs minor building maintenance and repair tasks; patches and paints interior and exterior surfaces; services lighting fixtures; lubricates locks and hinges.
- Performs a variety of building maintenance and facilities support functions; moves furniture and sets up conference rooms; loads and unloads trucks; picks up, delivers and stores supplies and materials; cleans and services vehicles and equipment.
- Assists in the repair and maintenance of building systems, equipment and structures; transports laborers and equipment in a light truck or van; works with temporary or court assigned workers.
- Coordinates and monitors the work of contracted services for plumbing, electrical, heating, ventilating and cooling, janitorial and other maintenance and repair work; requisitions and maintains an inventory of janitorial, landscape maintenance and repair supplies, materials and parts; maintains routine maintenance records.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Routine building maintenance methods and practices; safety and accident prevention practices; customer and public service techniques; routine commercial janitorial and landscape maintenance methods and practices; basic record keeping and reporting methods.
Skill to: Operate carpet extractors, buffers, vacuums and other cleaning and polishing equipment; operate blowers, trimmers, edgers, mowers and other motorized equipment; operate paint spraying and pressure washing equipment; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with County and temporary staff, service contractors, vendors, customers and the public.
Incumbents are exposed to a variety of environmental elements including wind, rain, snow, dust, fumes and other irritants. Positions require frequent walking, climbing, bending, kneeling and the ability to lift and carry objects.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Incumbents may perform after hours emergency response on a call-out basis.
Some positions are assigned to work in an adult custody setting involving frequent contact with inmates who may exhibit severe antisocial behavior.
Possession of a valid driver's license or an acceptable alternative method of transportation. Some positions require passing a pre-employment drug test.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.