CLASSIFICATION NO. 472
BUILDING MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT
Under supervision, to perform a variety of manual and semiskilled maintenance, construction, janitorial and or landscaping tasks for County buildings and ground facilities; and to do other work as required.
The Building Maintenance series is used by County departments to provide maintenance, repair, construction and remodeling of County owned and leased building structures and related systems.
The Building Maintenance Assistant performs a variety of janitorial; landscape maintenance; maintenance or construction to buildings; and building systems repair tasks. Assignments may be performed independently or as a part of a crew.
The Building Maintenance Assistant differs from the Building Maintenance Specialist which independently maintains heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, various mechanical, plumbing and structural systems and assists in leading the work of carpentry and other building maintenance and remodeling crews.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Cleans and maintains buildings; sweeps, scrubs, strips and polishes floor surfaces; applies wax, acrylic or other materials to hard surfaces; scrubs walls, ceilings and plumbing fixtures; removes garbage and litter; restocks supplies.
- Cleans and maintains landscaped areas, including walkways; mows, rakes, edges and weeds lawns; trims shrubbery and cuts brush; irrigates and fertilizes lawns and planted areas; plants shrubs and ornamentals; maintains irrigation systems; picks up and disposes of trash from landscape and parking areas; removes snow and ice according to standard procedures.
- Performs minor building maintenance and repair tasks; patches and paints interior and exterior surfaces; services lighting fixtures; lubricates locks and hinges.
- Performs a variety of building maintenance and facilities support functions; moves furniture and sets up conference rooms; loads and unloads trucks; picks up, delivers and stores supplies and materials; cleans and services vehicles and equipment.
- Assists in the remodel, repair and maintenance of buildings and structures; repairs and installs drywall; cuts and installs steel stud framing; cuts and installs exterior siding; measures, cuts and installs carpeting and other flooring materials; installs suspended ceiling frames and tiles; transports laborers and equipment in a light truck or van; works with temporary or court assigned workers.
- Assists in the installation, repair and maintenance of building systems and equipment; removes and replaces filters, belts, pumps and other components; repairs and replaces pipes and plumbing fixtures; replaces and installs lighting and other electrical fixtures
- Acts as liaison and monitors the work of contracted services for plumbing, electrical, heating, ventilating and cooling, janitorial and other maintenance and repair work; requisitions and maintains an inventory of janitorial, landscape maintenance and repair supplies, materials and parts; maintains routine maintenance area.
- May be assigned duties where working independently, either alone or with other Building Maintenance Assistants is required, subject to the inspection and approval of a Building Maintenance Specialist or other senior staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Routine building maintenance methods and practices; safety and accident prevention practices; customer and public service techniques; routine commercial janitorial and landscape maintenance methods and practices; basic record keeping and reporting methods.
Skill to: Operate carpet extractors, buffers, vacuums and other cleaning and polishing equipment; operate blowers, trimmers, edgers, mowers and other motorized equipment; operate paint spraying, texturing and pressure washing equipment; operate a variety of construction power tools and equipment, establish and maintain effective working relationships with County and temporary staff, service contractors, vendors, customers and the public; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Incumbents are exposed to a variety of environmental elements including wind, rain, snow, dust, fumes and other irritants. Positions require frequent walking, climbing, bending, kneeling and the ability to lift and carry objects.
Some positions are assigned to work in an adult custody setting involving frequent contact with inmates who may exhibit severe antisocial behavior.
Incumbents may perform after-hours emergency response on a call-out basis.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check; Positions within the County's Criminal Justice agencies must successfully pass an extensive background investigation which may include national fingerprint records check.
All positions within the Facilities Management Division and the County's Criminal Justice agencies must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.