CLASSIFICATION NO. 496
FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION SUPERVISOR
Under direction, to manage small to medium County building improvement and construction projects; to supervise project planning, cost estimating and budgeting, procurement, scheduling, contractor management, project evaluation, and general construction; to supervise assigned staff; and do other work as required.
The Facilities Maintenance Division is responsible for the repair, remodeling, maintenance, landscaping and janitorial services for all County owned and leased facilities.
The Facilities Construction Supervisor manages the entire cycle of medium to large sized County owned and leased building construction, renovation, and remodeling projects. Incumbent works closely with the County Purchasing Department, architects, engineers, and technicians to oversee all pre-construction activities, serves as the general on-site Construction Superintendent to assure for quality control, oversees contractor activities and approves contractor payments to ensure for proper construction, contract fulfillment, building code and ADA compliance, and performs a variety of project administrative tasks including budget preparations, purchasing administration, construction records administration, and processing of permit applications. In addition to primary construction responsibilities, this classification assigns smaller County construction projects to subordinate staff and oversees such projects to ensure timelines, budget and specifications are met.
The Facilities Construction Supervisor differs from the Building Maintenance Supervisor that is responsible for overseeing County general maintenance activities. It also differs from limited term Project Manager assignments where incumbents are responsible for engineering and architectural services involving large scale construction projects.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervises technical staff; recruits, trains, schedules, assigns, and monitors work of staff; prepares performance evaluations; works to resolve employee issues; participates in progressive employee discipline; assists manager in hiring technical construction trade staff.
- Oversees and provides technical supervision for all stages of County-wide building construction and improvement projects; develops space planning; estimates project costs; schedules projects and contractors; provides on-site construction oversight; oversees material deliveries; ensures conformance with contract plans and specifications; approves contractor invoices; coordinates projects with affected County departments.
- Manages moderate-sized county capital improvement and construction projects; develops project plans; project budget; determines priorities; assigns staff; monitors work of county staff and contractors, coordinates necessary permitting; identifies problems and implements solutions; conducts final evaluations.
- Oversees County construction projects for feasibility and efficient project management; analyzes and rationalizes cost/benefit construction proposals and makes appropriate recommendations regarding the feasibility of projects; oversees efficient space planning processes.
- Supervises all pre-construction evaluation and planning activities: develops construction plans and cost estimates; organizes and coordinates the work of professional architects, engineers, and technicians in the development of preliminary drawings and specifications; completes and submits building permit applications; meets with department representatives and coordinates the process of project approval.
- Coordinates purchasing processes needed for construction and renovation projects; qualifies contractors and suppliers; directly manages the quotation contract process for small to medium projects; ensures that all contacts are ADA and wage/hour compliant; evaluates bids and proposals and recommends award of service and supply contracts; directly manages the quotation contract process for projects under specified cost thresholds; ensures projects are in compliance with budget and other requirements.
- Provides regular on-site construction management services; schedules, monitors and supervises work, including work performed by County facilities personnel and by contractors; negotiates and approves small and medium change orders; inspects completed work; documents final project punch-lists and resolves contractor issues; approves progress and other payments for work and delivered products; ensures the delivery of project warranties and operation manuals; provides for equipment and system operator training.
- Assists in budget preparation by preparing cost estimates and recommendations; submits justifications for construction budget requests; monitors and controls expenditures for all operating and project costs.
- Regularly inspects all County buildings and facilities to document structural and code deficiencies; prepares or procures cost analyses and makes recommendations for compliance; assists in the development and presentation of justification for ADA, structural preservation, and code upgrade improvement projects.
- Upgrades and maintains central facilities building plans and drawing files.
- Provides direction to staff when the Facilities Manager has scheduled or unexpected absences.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: Principles and practices of construction project management for projects that are at least $1 million in scope, remodeling, and equipment installation; construction/renovation cost estimating; general government purchasing and contracting procedures; construction project budgeting, cost control, and reporting; engineering and architectural terms applicable to facilities construction, remodeling and renovation; codes, regulations and laws pertaining to construction, ADA, hazardous material, wage/hour requirements, and procurement.
Working knowledge of: Mechanical, electrical, and structural schematics and blueprints interpretation; general methods, practices and techniques of structural, plumbing and mechanical maintenance; materials, tools and equipment commonly used in the construction, remodeling, renovation, and maintenance of commercial structures; capital grant funding concepts; basic math; record keeping techniques; computer use; supervisory techniques; public and customer service techniques.
Skill to: Plan and prepare cost estimates, organize, coordinate and supervise construction, remodeling and equipment installation projects; manage a wide variety of specialty skilled contractors, professional consultants, County staff and material vendors; read, understand and interpret facility construction plans, specifications and other contract documents; hire, lead, train, schedule, assign, monitor, coordinate and evaluate the work performed by facilities personnel; coach and discipline employees; perform technical research and solve difficult construction problems; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; complete and maintain accurate records; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County personnel, contractors, vendors, suppliers, and the public; multitask a variety of assignments by effectively prioritizing and scheduling multiple construction and renovation projects; monitor and advocate high ethical standards in the public construction and renovation process.
Incumbent is exposed to wind, rain, snow, dust, fumes and other irritants. Positions require frequent walking, climbing, bending, kneeling and the ability to lift and carry objects.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Employment may be contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.