CLASSIFICATION NO. 497
BUILDING MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR
Under general direction, to plan, organize and direct the activities and personnel involved in the maintenance, repair and remodeling of County-owned building structures, systems and equipment; to supervise the work of building maintenance personnel, court assigned workers and/or corrections trustees; and to do other work as required.
The Facilities Management Division, within the Finance Department, is responsible for planning, directing and administering comprehensive programs for space planning, commercial leasing, construction, re-modeling, maintenance, utilities, security, environmental safety and general support services for County-owned and leased buildings and grounds.
The Building Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for supervising, prioritizing and scheduling maintenance and routine and repairs for all County-owned buildings, grounds and leased facilities. Incumbents assign, inspect and ensure successful accomplishment of work assigned to permanent and temporary facilities maintenance staff, service contractors and capital improvement projects.
The Building Maintenance Supervisor differs from the Building Maintenance Coordinator which leads the work of assigned personnel. It also differs from the Facilities Manager who is responsible for planning, directing and administering comprehensive programs for leasing, construction, maintenance and environmental safety for County-owned and leased buildings and grounds.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Hires and supervises building maintenance staff under the direction of the Facilities Manager; prepares performance evaluations; recommends and administers progressive discipline; schedules, conducts and/or facilitates, required safety training, development programs and schedules outside training for Facilities Maintenance staff.
- Manages and oversees Facilities Management programs related to safety and risk, vehicle, maintenance, sign manufacture, tool inventory and other programs.
- Oversees compliance, inspection, implementation and adherence to all federal, state, county and local laws, regulations and code requirements relating to facilities management including: fire and life safety, building, boiler, plumbing, electrical, elevator and security systems; acts as liaison with various regulatory agency representatives to ensure regulatory compliance; acts as liaison with professional service consultants, insurance agents, safety and risk management staff; completes and submits building permit applications.
- Plans and schedules preventive and scheduled maintenance for all County buildings and grounds; prioritizes routine and emergency repairs submitted via the MPulse Work Order System, e-mails and phone calls; monitors MPulse throughout the day and assigns priority emergency work; oversees and maintains the Engineering Services section of the MPulse Program and identifies, analyzes an documents maintenance requirements; ensures effective performance of staff, inmate and community service work crews, janitorial, landscape, construction maintenance, repair and service contractors; ensures staff and crews are performing to meet customer service satisfaction.
- Coordinates and inspects the work of contractors; serves as liaison between county departments, Facilities Maintenance staff, contractors and materials suppliers; develops basic contractor specifications for materials, maintenance and services; solicits, obtains and reviews contractor bid documents and recommends the awarding of professional services contracts; monitors contractor services provided and reviews and approves contractor invoices.
- Monitors and controls maintenance budget expenditures and accounts; assists with budget preparation and administration; prepares cost analyses and makes recommendations for machinery, large equipment and capital improvements; develops and prepares Facilities Management capital improvement and remodeling project specifications; plans, budgets and procures supplies, and equipment and contractor services.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: Methods, practices, and procedures for maintenance of commercial buildings, systems and equipment; schematics and blueprints; methods and techniques for plumbing, mechanical, lighting, electrical, safety and structural system maintenance, repairs, installations, painting and finishing, safety equipment , systems, work practices, procedures and regulations; tools, equipment materials and supplies used in the maintenance of commercial buildings and equipment and commercial facility custodial and landscape maintenance services.
Skill to: Skill to monitor and coordinate the work performed by commercial custodial and landscape service contractors and County temporary crews; read and understand plans and blueprints; inspect and coordinate the work of contractors performing electrical, plumbing, roofing, alarm and safety equipment, carpentry and repair services to County facilities; complete and file accurate service requests, maintenance schedules, time records and documents; practice and lead others in safety procedures when performing maintenance and repair duties; to do plumbing, HVAC, mechanical. Lighting, electrical and roofing repairs; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees, service contractors and the public; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and basic math.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Employment may be contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.