CLASSIFICATION NO. 536
Under general supervision, to provide languages interpretation and translation services to assigned program or project; and to do other work as required.
The Medical Interpreter/Translator is used by Clackamas County Community Health to ensure that language interpretation and translation services are available to non-English speaking or hearing impaired individuals participating in County sponsored community health programs. This classification provides direct assistance to clients. Incumbents are required to be fluent in one or more required languages and to be familiar with medical terminology and services specific to assigned program.
The Medical Interpreter/Translator differs from the Human Services Coordinator 1 (Interpretation Services Coordinator) which plans and coordinates the activities of individual interpreters and translators and provides overall program support to non-healthcare related County programs.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides oral interpretive services in person and by telephone between medical staff and patients in compliance with all office and clinic policies and procedures, specifically those relating to patient confidentiality.
- Performs written translation as required, interpreting and clarifying healthcare instructions, procedures and forms; assists with translation of technical and non-technical patient documents such as letters.
- Assists health care professional in interpreting information to clients on fact of diseases, disease prevention and follow-up, laboratory test results, updating immunization schedule, and general health care; interprets provider’s diagnosis and recommendations.
- Assists health care provider in making referrals to other health care services as appropriate.
- Assists other employees by providing consecutive translation between English and language of client; understands and implements instructions in support of specific clinic activities.
- Supports clinic operations by coordinating patient appointments, answering the phone, and performing data entry.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: Designated foreign language, including word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, regional accents, linguistic styles and idioms; medical vocabulary including that of medical specialties; role of interpreter in interactions between patient and provider within a healthcare setting.
Working knowledge of: Policies, procedures, and specific terminology relating to program served; general office procedures, practices and equipment including personal computers and related software; English grammar and composition; cultural background of target populations to be served by program.
Skill to: Translate spoken and written information quickly and accurately from/to English and one or more foreign languages; comprehend, apply and explain program policies and procedures; effectively meet and work with the public, clients and staff in a courteous, professional manner; effectively maintain professional distance and integrity; learn and interpret specialized or technical terms specific to program served; effectively organize, prioritize and schedule work flow; establish and maintain effective working relationships; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Verbal and written proficiency in a second language.
Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation including national fingerprint records check.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.