CLASSIFICATION NO. 560
HUMAN SERVICES COORDINATOR 1
Under general supervision, to coordinate and participate in the operational activities of a human service program(s) or project(s); to assist in program planning and evaluation; to lead the work of assigned volunteers and support staff; and to do other work as required.
The Human Service Coordinator 1 is used within the Department of Human Services and other departments to coordinate community service programs and projects that provide services to youth and the elderly, corrections clients, and to individuals with social, economic, mental and/or physical disadvantages.
The Human Services Coordinator 1 performs advanced journey level paraprofessional work and is responsible for coordinating and delivering assistance to clients through direct participation and the efforts of volunteer/support staff or through services and resources provided by other public and private programs/agencies. Incumbents work within established policies, procedures and guidelines. The Human Services Coordinator 1 serves as the primary technical resource for the program and may lead the work of numerous volunteers and/or several support employees.
The Human Services Coordinator 1 differs from the Human Services Assistant which provides program support to professional staff through field assignments, client interviews and compliance monitoring. The Human Services Coordinator 1 differs from the Human Services Coordinator 2 which oversees and coordinates multiple programs, typically leads the work of paraprofessional staff, and has independent responsibility for developing program procedures and goals. It also differs from the Case Manager which provides ongoing assessment and consultation regarding a broad array of psycho-social issues and assists in management of multiple services for individuals and families, over an extended period of time.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates and assists in planning the activities of a human service program(s) or project(s); develops and implements work plans and schedules to accomplish program goals, allocates staff, volunteers, and other program resources.
- Monitors program statistics and client satisfaction measurements; recommends changes for improvements in program services; analyzes and recommends solutions to unusual technical, procedural and resource problems; analyzes community resources, program and client needs, to enhance service delivery.
- Screens applicants for program eligibility; matches client needs with available community resources and monitors ongoing services to client; resolves problems and serves as advocate for client-, maintains client case files.
- Coordinates the activities of the program(s) or project(s) with other human service programs within assigned department and other community and government agencies; develops professional contacts, attends agency and professional meetings and trainings; makes referrals to other programs/agencies; may assist staff within other programs/agencies.
- May assist in preparing and updating budgets and grant proposals; monitors program expenditures and compliance to grant conditions; processes bills, statements and vouchers; exercises cost controls; maintains detailed financial records.
- Conducts public relations and outreach activities; creates flyers, brochures, newsletter articles, classified advertisements, press releases and correspondence; develops training materials and delivers public presentations and educational workshops; provides program information to the public, community groups and agencies; recruits volunteers and donations.
- May lead the work of assigned program and administrative support staff and volunteers; assists employees with work problems; trains employees; assigns and reviews work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Knowledge of: Principles, methods and techniques in specific area/field relevant to assigned program; problems of disadvantaged/disabled, youth, elderly persons; basic math, English grammar and composition; record keeping procedures and basic statistical methods; cultural diversity issues; data collection and analysis procedures and methods; program evaluation procedures and methods; office equipment including personal computers and software programs; basic techniques of supervision; principles and techniques of public relations and interpersonal communication.
Skill to: Plan, organize and coordinate a human service program; work independently; schedule, assign and review work; develop program and community resources; effectively communicate and interact with a wide range of clients, personnel, professional staff and community representatives; collect and analyze program data; maintain accurate records; prepare and present effective written and verbal reports; establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, governmental agencies and the human service community, and the public; prepare and deliver oral presentations before public groups; operate computer hardware, software, and other office equipment.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check; Positions within the County's Criminal Justice agencies must successfully pass an extensive background investigation which may include national fingerprint records check.
Some positions require a pre-employment drug test. All positions within the County's Criminal Justice agencies must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARD
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.