CLASSIFICATION NO. 582
Under general direction, to perform psychiatric consultative, diagnostic and therapeutic services in a mental health clinic or day treatment program; to assist in the organization and execution of all medical services across all program areas in a comprehensive mental health system, including consultation with staff, diagnostic evaluations and treatment of patients; to participate in Quality Assurance and Utilization Review procedures; may participate in research or community education and training activities; and to do other work as required.
The Psychiatrist is primarily focused on providing professional psychiatric consultative, diagnostic and therapeutic services for mental, emotional or behavioral disorders. Work also involves providing supervision of the development of the treatment plan for those patients requiring medicaid services.
This classification differs from the Psychologist series in that the Psychiatrist provides direct psychiatric services, the prescription of medications, consultation and the medical supervision of cases.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Interviews patients; obtains medical and personal histories to complete psychiatric evaluations, diagnoses and evaluates need for psychotropic medication or other medical services; prescribes psychotropic medications and collaborates with other treatment staff to facilitate appropriate medication monitoring; provides individual, group or family therapy.
- Provides consultation to other treatment staff, or health or social service agencies, on medical aspects of a treatment plan; participates in clinical staff meetings for the development and evaluation of individual treatment plans; provides medical supervision of patients' treatment plans.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of mental health educational activities in the clinic and community; may participate in program planning, development and evaluation and/or mental health research.
- Assists in the organization, direction and execution of psychiatric services.
- Assumes medical responsibility for those patients requiring medical services; completes the necessary paperwork for insurance and benefits providers.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Comprehensive knowledge of: Modern psychiatric theory and practice; community mental health principles and methods; psychotherapy, counseling, medication management and diagnostic techniques; ethical standards in the treatment of mentally ill clients.
Working knowledge of: Office equipment, including personal computers and software programs.
Skill to: Establish and maintain effective relationships with non-medical staff members, community agencies and state institutions; communicate effectively both, orally and in writing; secure the cooperation of patients, their families and friends, and to elicit information needed for the treatment of patient; plan and execute work effectively; work effectively in a multi-discipline treatment setting; operate computer software and other office equipment.
Incumbents work with varied socioeconomic groups, the mentally ill, the developmentally disabled, alcohol and substance abusing clients and their families.
A physician licensed to practice medicine in the State of Oregon or eligible for licensing at the time of appointment, which has satisfactorily completed residency training in psychiatry. The medical training must be approved by the Council of Medical Education and Hospitals of the American Medical Association.
All professional staff may be required to participate in 24 hours/day emergency program services.
Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that would demonstrate possession of the required knowledge and skills.