CLASSIFICATION NO. 677
INFORMATION SERVICES SOFTWARE SPECIALIST, SENIOR
Under direction, to plan, organize, and manage the work of a project team; to analyze complex user requirements and develop solutions; to administer databases, design and administer spatial databases, server application software, and servers; and to do other work as required.
The Information Services Department provides computing services to County departments and other public and private agencies. The department is made up of three divisions: Computer and Support Services, GIS and Web Development, and Electronic Services. The Computer and Support Services Division is divided into six sections: Applications Programming, Computer Operations, Special Projects, Technical Services, Network Services and User Services. The GIS and Web Development Division contains Geographic Information Systems, Web Development and Specialized Application Development.
The Information Services Software Specialist, Senior coordinates the creation or modification of programs, GIS and web-based applications, and databases. Incumbents work closely with user departments and Information Services personnel to facilitate and coordinate project requirements, timelines, and technical support. Typical assignments include database administration, administering server application software, programming of new system applications and program maintenance of a Web-based or GIS server, and formal documentation of programming.
The Information Services Software Specialist, Senior differs from Information Services Software Specialist 2 who creates or modifies complex programs, GIS and web-based applications, and databases. Information Services Software Specialist, Senior also differs from the System Project Specialist who manages many elements of a general information services project dealing with a complete computer system, not a specific application or database. The Information Services Software Specialist, Senior also differs from the Microcomputer Analyst and Microcomputer Programmer/Analyst who designs and administers microcomputer applications and databases at the department level.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates the work of a project team composed of staff and users; guides and formulates project needs and requirements; manages and completes projects within specific time and budget constraints; prepares progress reports and revises projections to reflect current status.
- Analyze complex user requirements and develop solutions utilizing appropriate software and tools; uses programming and scripting languages to design, develop, and implement complex solutions.
- Administer databases, server application software and servers; monitor database performance; make appropriate changes to database for more efficient database operation; use database development tools to build, expand, or maintain relational databases.
- Documents system operations to determine feasibility of programs and GIS or web applications; documents developed programs; writes operating procedures and updates user manuals; details functional requirements, interfaces, data descriptions, recovery procedures, and intervention methods.
- Prepares and develops logical operational sequences to be performed by programs and web or GIS applications; designs program logic to meet specifications and standards; codes instructions for computers using appropriate language and tools; uses connectivity tools to access information in databases; tests and debugs coded programs to assure operational accuracy.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: Principles and practices of relational database programming and syntax; systems analysis, application programming, web development techniques and complex spatial analysis and cadastral design; application development tools; server administration techniques and security; computer systems administration, design, and testing methods; data modeling, database controls, and data base design; capabilities of computer hardware and systems software in supporting application systems; applicable programming languages; office procedures and practices; basic math; English grammar.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; use connectivity tools to extract information from databases; administer databases, server software applications, and servers; convey technical and complex information to non-technical staff; design and analyze program solutions, web applications and data base programs; evaluate system and operational performance; establish controls and security measures; code, test, and document applications; plan and coordinate program efforts to achieve requirements and objectives; diagnose and resolve software problems; establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, system users and other County personnel.
Incumbent typically works in a variety of setting and locations. Work requires the ability to bend, crawl, climb, stoop and be available at sites to provide client support in the installation, repair and maintenance of hardware and software. Incumbent must be able to lift or move personal computers, terminals and peripheral equipment which may weigh up to fifty pounds. Frequently works early and late hours to meet time lines, provide off-hour upgrade and maintenance, and respond to emergency situations.
Some positions must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.