CLASSIFICATION NO. 728
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION MANAGER
Under general direction, to plan, organize and manage the recruitment and selection activities for county positions; to provide complex staff assistance to the Board of County Commissioners, the County Administrator and County departments; and to do other work as required.
The Department of Employee Services provides human resources services to County departments and employees, including employee recruitment and selection, personnel ordinance and policy administration, diversity initiatives, position classification and compensation, employee training and development, benefits administration, risk management, workers compensation, liability and casualty claims management, human resources information systems, labor relations and collective bargaining.
The Recruitment Manager is responsible for the implementation, maintenance and administration of the County's recruitment and selection policies and procedures. The incumbent provides supervision to staff performing a variety of recruitment activities including outreach to applicants, and developing valid job announcements, selection, testing and referral processes. The incumbent performs the most complex selection processes and executive level recruitments. The incumbent coordinates recruitment projects in cooperation with other Human Resources activities and serves as a member of the department's management team.
The Recruitment Manager differs from other human resources management classifications by its specialization in the management and oversight of the County's recruitment and selection programs.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees the County's recruitment and selection processes; plans, assigns and reviews the work of professional, paraprofessional and administrative support staff; organizes and coordinates requests for recruitments and directs efforts toward completion of recruitments in a timely and legal manner and in compliance with County policy and practices; provides technical assistance to staff; performs complex recruitment activities such as executive level positions, unclassified service, assessment centers, and coordination with outside search firms.
- Oversees and participates in recruitment and testing processes for County positions including the development of valid recruitment and selection strategies and materials; evaluates recruitment screening and test results and modifies passing standards and test materials; evaluates recruitments for adverse impact on equal employment opportunity and compliance with affirmative action goals; approves eligibility registers as unranked or ranked processes in compliance with County Code.
- Advises County managers and supervisors on recruitment and selection policies and procedures; reviews department needs and recommends methods to effectively staff County positions, ensure compliance with County policies; monitors and controls recruiting costs, including advertising, printing and outreach.
- Responds to complaints regarding unfair recruitment and selection practices; performs investigations of administrative reviews surrounding recruitment processes; consults with Director of Employee Services, legal counsel and other parties; implements and approves corrective actions.
- Works in partnership with County's Diversity Manager, other human resources professional and supervisory staff to develop and implement outreach strategies to enhance recruitment efforts and attract a diverse applicant pool to County employment opportunities; educates and provides information regarding cultural competency issues; analyzes and designs protocols to minimize future risk and exposure; provides technical assistance to support department strategies; develops and maintains the County's Affirmative Action plan; represents the County at various meetings, conferences, job fairs, community events to promote County employment opportunities.
- Utilizes County's human resource information system (HRIS), specifically the application system and query tool to select applicants and employee information for a variety of HR projects; works with County's HRIS Manager to evaluate and recommend uses of the HRIS software to enhance employment access and applicant tracking; performs data entry, data retrieval and standard, custom, and ad hoc report generation; provides technical assistance to staff in using system.
- Hires and supervises professional staff to provide quality service to citizens and County staff; prepares performance evaluations; recommends and administers progressive discipline; conducts and/or facilitates staff training and development programs; promotes cooperative team efforts among staff and with other County departments.
- Participates in labor contract negotiations and arbitration; advises management on employee relations issues; conducts and/or coordinates investigations of complaints; responds to requests for new or revised classifications and assistance with reorganizations; develops and delivers training programs.
- Participates as a member of the Employee Services management team; participates in department budgeting and long-range planning processes; participates in policy and program decisions with other members of management team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: Principles and practices of human resources and personnel administration, including recruitment, selection, classification, compensation, training, cultural competency related to personnel matters and labor relations; principles and practices of public administration; participative management theories; operations, services, and activities of human resource information systems related to applicant processing; methods of data generation, data collection, and database management; methods and techniques of statistical research and analysis; applicable Federal, State and local personnel and EEO laws and case law, rules, regulations, codes and ordinances; public sector diversity models; intercultural mediation techniques; County government organization and operations; human resource information systems; principles and techniques of supervision.
Skill to: Collect, compile and analyze complex information; analyze and resolve problems; prepare clear and concise reports; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; investigate, interview and mediate complaints and concerns; have awareness of intercultural sensitivities and workplace impacts; de-escalate and minimize risk and exposure; direct staff in continuous efforts to improve quality productivity and effectiveness; incorporate team participation in decision making; exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential human resource issues and employee issues; respond to changes desired by citizens and County staff; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, applicants, union officials and the public; facilitate group process; understand, interpret and explain personnel laws, policies and programs; operate office equipment, including personal computers and software applications.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.