CLASSIFICATION NO. 757
DIRECTOR, DEPARTMENT OF WATER ENVIRONMENT SERVICES
Under policy direction, to plan, organize, direct and manage the Department of Water Environment Services; and to do other work as required.
The Department of Water Environment Services manages and operates the County's utility service districts, including sewerage facilities, collection systems, pumping stations, treatment plants and storm and surface water management.
The Director, Department of Water Environment Services is a member of the County's executive management team and is responsible for fulfilling department objectives as established by the Board of County Commissioners. The Director reports to the County Administrator. The incumbent develops and implements Department goals, objectives, policies and priorities and provides administrative direction to division managers.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops and implements new and revised policies; establishes goals, standards and objectives; oversees the preparation of the Department's annual program plan; ensures provision of services is in compliance with Federal and State statutes, rules, and regulations.
- Participates in regional, state and municipal organizations, commissions and task forces to promote and coordinate intergovernmental programs; represents the County in drafting, introducing, advocating and testifying on legislation related to department activities.
- Oversees the development of annual and supplemental budgets; presents budget proposals to County budget committee and Board of County Commissioners; oversees the monitoring of revenues and expenditures; researches alternative funding sources including preparing and/or approving grant proposals and bond issues.
- Promotes department activities and programs with business associations, citizen groups and the public; evaluates and responds to complaints of employees, citizens and other government agencies.
- Hires and directs department management staff; prepares performance evaluations; administers progressive discipline; conducts and/or facilitates staff training and development programs; promotes cooperative team efforts among staff and with other County departments; motivates employees to provide quality service to citizens.
- Participates as a member of the management bargaining team and directs the departmental administration of the bargaining contracts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Comprehensive knowledge of: Principles, methods and techniques of public administration, personnel management and budgeting; current practices and department functions in sanitary sewer services, sewage treatment facilities, and storm and surface water management.
Thorough knowledge of: Applicable federal, state and local statutes and regulations; funding sources and financing methods; labor relations procedures and collective bargaining practices; federal, state and local government operating methods and procedures, including local utility service districts and local improvement districts.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; prepare and deliver oral presentations to public and private groups; formulate and implement operational and administrative policies; plan, develop and evaluate funding requirements; prepare and justify budget requests and grant proposals; establish and maintain effective working relationships with outside agencies, elected officials, County employees and the public; understand, interpret and apply Federal, State and local statutes, rules and regulations relevant to Department policies and procedures; train, direct, evaluate and supervise management, professional and technical personnel in multi-disciplinary team activities; motivate employees to provide quality service to citizens; direct staff in continuous efforts to improve quality, productivity and effectiveness; incorporate team participation in decision-making.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.