CLASSIFICATION NO. 901
ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR, SENIOR
Under direction, to review plans for and inspect electrical installations at residential, commercial and industrial locations for compliance with relevant State of Oregon codes and Clackamas County regulations; to lead the work of electrical inspectors; and to do other work as required.
The Building Services Division within the Department of Transportation and Development is responsible for administering the State of Oregon building and related codes, DEQ rules and Clackamas County ordinances and regulations.
The Electrical Inspector, Senior is responsible for 1) reviewing plans for and inspecting electrical installations at residential, commercial and industrial locations for compliance with State of Oregon regulations and 2) assigning inspection work loads, developing and implementing section training sessions and resolving technical code interpretation questions.
The Electrical Inspector, Senior is distinguished from the Electrical Inspector by the latter's lack of responsibility for lead work and resolving technical and code interpretation questions.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Assigns inspection section work load; develops and implements section training sessions; resolves technical and code interpretation questions.
- Reviews plans of proposed electrical work for conformance to State codes and County regulations; confers with electrical engineers, contractors, electricians and other permit applicants regarding code requirements and inspection procedures; explains designated policies, statutes, ordinances, regulations and codes pertinent to the electric trade.
- Inspects new or remodeled electrical installations for quality of work, use of proper materials and compliance with State electrical codes and County regulations; inspects existing or fire damaged electrical systems for deterioration and hazardous conditions; issues certificates of inspection and approval or notice of deficiency; explains deficiencies and answers questions regarding corrections required to meet code requirements.
- Completes and maintains inspection and compliance records and progress reports; posts violation notices at job sites; reviews/checks electricians, licenses and permits; files formal reports for noncompliance with violation notices.
- Interprets and explains code requirements and procedures for plan reviews, on-site inspections and applicable permits via the phone, in person or in writing.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: State of Oregon Electrical Specialty Code.
Working knowledge of: Principles of lead work supervision; electrical wiring methods and materials for residential, commercial and industrial buildings; County field inspection procedures and practices; County permit process and zoning regulations; basic math and algebra; English grammar and composition.
Skill to: Lead the work of assigned personnel; interpret electrical codes, regulations and policies and apply knowledge to specific situations; read electrical wiring diagrams and electrical construction plans; evaluate electric materials, products and methods of installation; interpret and explain technical electrical information; calculate electrical loads; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; write concise and accurate inspection reports; establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Duties are performed in a variety of conditions and settings including sedentary activities in an office and moderate to fairly strenuous activities in the field.
State of Oregon "A” Level Electrical Inspector Certification.
Possession of or ability to obtain within six months of hire: State of Oregon Manufactured Dwellings Installation Inspector Certification.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.