CLASSIFICATION NO. 905
Under direction, to perform skilled electrical work in the installation, alteration, maintenance and repair of electrical wiring systems (AC and DC), electrical fixtures and other related equipment for County buildings; and to do other work as required.
The Facilities Management Division is responsible for planning, directing and administering comprehensive programs for space planning, commercial leasing, construction, remodeling, maintenance, utilities, security, environmental safety and general support services for County-owned and leased buildings and grounds.
The Electrician is a journey-level classification responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical projects for County owned/leased buildings and related electrical systems. The incumbent will be required to work in a variety of conditions, including inclement weather, varying outside temperatures, elevated work places, electrical hazards and confining spaces.
The Electrician differs from the Supervising Electrician which provides functional supervision over electrical projects and requires a Supervising Electrician’s License. It further differs from the Traffic Signal Electrician which installs, maintains and repairs of traffic signals and street lighting systems in the field or shop.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Installs, alters, maintains and repairs interior and exterior wiring systems, both AC and DC, electrical fixtures and other related equipment for County buildings.
- Installs and repairs electrical motors and other connected electrical devices. Studies blueprints and specifications to determine where motors and equipment will be placed.
- Purchases needed materials; obtains the required price quotations of direct purchases; picks up materials at supplier; loads, hauls and unloads at the job site.
- Installs and services main service disconnects and panels including circuit breakers and switching gear; makes all necessary terminations; operates and tests electrical generator and Uninterruptable Power Systems (UPS).
- Installs metal conduit systems; calculates the necessary bends, saddles and offsets needed for placement of the required junction boxes, fabricating, making the necessary cuts and installation of complete system; studies and determines the size of the required conduit, as required based on the number and size of the wires to be contained within; provides the necessary hangers and support for the conduit and suitable marking of the cables to ease termination.
- Implements and trains personnel on the Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) out practices and procedures to safeguard employees from the unexpected energization or startup of machinery and equipment, or the release of hazardous energy during service or maintenance activities.
- Installs and maintains both interior and exterior CCTV cameras and a variety of security and access systems.
- Studies technical manuals describing the functioning of each piece of equipment in order to determine the proper connection and operating voltages and to supply the required and suggested safety services.
- Maintains accurate records; provides reports of work performed; documents system design and any changes for future work and service; trouble shoots and repairs all electrical systems involving all county facilities.
- Performs other building maintenance duties as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: Standard practices, methods, tools and materials of the electrical trade; local, state and national electrical codes; occupational hazards and safety precautions involving electrical work.
Working knowledge of: Maintenance techniques for building, electrical, electromechanical practices and theory, including solid-state; electrical project and work documentation; safety practices in operating mechanical devices and equipment, vehicles, and in following safe electrical practices in the installation and maintenance of a wide variety of electrical systems.
Skill to: Maintain and repair wiring and electrical systems and equipment; operate electrical testing and measuring devices; operate power and manual tools standard to electrical trade; locate and adjust defects in electrical systems and equipment; understand electrical blueprints and specifications, with the ability to take off the required list of materials and equipment necessary to effect the installations required; understand and interpret drawings and specifications; prepare and maintain accurate records and reports; recognize color codes on electrical components and wires; recognize sounds that would assist in the repair of electrical devices; ability to work safely on energized circuits with tools; safely operate a motor vehicle in the course of the performance of work; understand verbal and written instructions; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County staff, other agency personnel, subcontractors and the public.
Work is performed in a variety of conditions, including inclement weather, varying outside temperatures, elevated work places and electrical hazards. Work is performed in confining spaces. Occasional lifting of 100 pounds and climbing height of up to 50 feet to perform work required of the trade.
Must posses General Journeyman Electrician License issued by the State of Oregon.
Some positions must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.