CLASSIFICATION NO. 907
PLANS EXAMINER B
Under general supervision, to review 1 and 2 family dwelling building plans and plans for accessory structures for compliance with the State structural and mechanical specialty codes; and to do other work as required.
The Building Codes Division within the Department of Transportation and Development is responsible for administering the State building and related codes and Clackamas County ordinances and regulations.
The Plans Examiner B reviews plans for buildings of limited size and complexity, 1 and 2 family dwellings and similar projects.
The Plans Examiner B differs from the Plans Examiner A by the latter's responsibility to review building plans of all types, sizes and complexity except high rise structures.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Reviews building plans of limited size and complexity for compliance with residential, structural, mechanical, and life safety codes; reviews other types of plans and specifications related to a project.
- Performs field inspections when required on specific projects, singly or jointly with field inspectors and fire service; writes inspection reports, noting approvals or disapprovals and corrections needed; places "stop work" orders when necessary.
- Assists in solving code related problems during both plan review and construction stages; evaluates and advises on alternative methods or materials to satisfy code requirements.
- Provides codes and permits related information to the public.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of: State of Oregon Structural and Mechanical specialty codes; basic principles and practices of structural, civil and mechanical engineering; construction methods and materials; County field inspection procedures and practices; County permit process and zoning regulations; English grammar and composition.
Skill to: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with builders, design professionals and other concerned parties; maintain and complete accurate records; read and understand building plans, maps, legal descriptions and zoning laws.
Duties include occasional inspections in the field that require moderate to fairly strenuous physical exertion, including driving, climbing ladders and scaffolding, stooping, bending, crawling and ability to lift up to 40 pounds. Duties also involve frequent exposure to inclement weather.
State of Oregon 1 and 2 Family Plans Examiner Certification or International Code Council (ICC).
Residential Building Inspector Certification with the Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) and required experience.
Possession of or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire:
- State of Oregon Manufactured Dwellings Installation Inspector Certification.
- State of Oregon 1 and 2 Family Structural Inspector Certification or International Code Council (ICC).
- Residential Building Inspector Certification with the Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) and required experience.
- State of Oregon 1 and 2 Family Mechanical Inspector Certification or International Code Council (ICC) Residential Mechanical Inspector Certification with the Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) and required experience.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.