CLASSIFICATION NO. 917
Under general supervision to inspect building projects and mechanical systems of unlimited size, type and complexity for compliance with State of Oregon structural, mechanical and residential specialty codes and regulations; and to do other work as required.
The Building Codes Division within the Department of Transportation and Development is responsible for administering the State of Oregon building and related codes and Clackamas County ordinances and regulations.
The Structural/Mechanical Inspector inspects building projects and mechanical systems of unlimited size, type and complexity; inspections are performed on new projects as well as additions and alterations to existing buildings. Duties also include the investigation of code violations and special inspection assignments when required.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Inspects commercial, industrial, assembly, institutional, residential and other types of buildings for compliance with building, mechanical and other related codes and approved permit drawings and documents.
- Writes inspection reports, noting approvals or disapprovals and corrections needed; places "stop work" orders when necessary; enters inspection results, sorts inspections and writes reports using computer software.
- Participates and assists in solving code related problems with construction and design professionals during construction stages; explains code requirements, plan reviews, inspection and permits procedures.
- Cooperates with fire service personnel in their respective jurisdictions in code aspects concerning fire safety by joint inspections or other actions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of: State of Oregon structural, mechanical and residential specialty and fire and life safety code provisions; County field inspection procedures and practices.
Working knowledge of: Basic principles of structural, mechanical and civil engineering; construction methods and materials; County permit process and zoning regulations; English grammar and composition.
Skill to: Communicate effectively and respectfully, both orally and in writing; apply knowledge of State of Oregon appropriate codes; read building plans and specifications; establish and maintain effective working relations with homeowners, contractors and the general public; complete and maintain accurate records; write clear and concise inspection reports; effectively operate computer equipment and software programs utilized by the County.
Duties in the field require squatting, kneeling, balancing, climbing, and the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull objects. Duties also involve exposure to loud noises, moving traffic, slippery and/or uneven surfaces, working at heights on ladders and roofs, confined crawl spaces, and adverse weather conditions.
Oregon Inspector Certifications and required experience apply to the following required certifications:
- State of Oregon A-level Structural Inspector or International Code Council (ICC) Commercial Building Inspector
- State of Oregon A-level Mechanical Inspector or International Code Council (ICC) Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- State of Oregon 1 and 2 Family Structural Inspector or International Code Council (ICC) Residential Building Inspector
- State of Oregon 1 and 2 Family Mechanical Inspector or International Code Council (ICC) Residential Mechanical Inspector.
Possession of or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire: State of Oregon Manufactured Dwellings Installation Inspector Certification.
Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
MINIMUM RECRUITING STANDARDS
Any satisfactory combination of experience and training that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge and skills.