We Can End Domestic Abuse
Legal Definitions of Domestic Violence
According to Oregon law “domestic violence” means abuse between family or household members.
- Attempting to cause or intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing physical injury;
- Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly placing another in fear of imminent serious physical injury; or
- Causing another to engage in involuntary sexual relations by force or threat of force.
“Family or household members” means any of the following:
- Former spouses.
- Adult persons related by blood or marriage.
- Persons cohabiting with each other.
- Persons who have cohabited with each other or who have been involved in a sexually intimate relationship.
- Unmarried parents of a minor child.