Services Departments Government

Hispanic Services

Si Le gustaria mas information en Espanol, por favor de communicarse con Eric Barrera Por email o telephone llamar por (503) 722-6624.

The Juvenile Department has Spanish-speaking counselors that provide probation and diversion services for the youth and the family. In addition to Spanish-speaking staff within the department, efforts have also been made to provide Spanish-speaking services to some of our community based diversion panels.  We have also made efforts to provide a great deal of the department information such as appointment letters and family information forms in both Spanish and English. We also make sure that there are interpreters available for Court appearances and meetings with attorneys and treatment providers if necessary.

When a youth is referred to the Juvenile Department by a police agency and it is determined by Juvenile Department staff that the youth or the family is Spanish speaking, he/she is referred to one of our Spanish-speaking counselors who will initiate contact and schedule an intake meeting for the youth and family. At the intake meeting, the Counselor interviews the youth and family gathering family history information as well as information pertaining to the alleged criminal referral. At that time it is also determined if there are indeed language and/or cultural issues that would determine the need for the youth/family to continue working with a Spanish speaking Counselor. If it is obvious to the Counselor that there is no apparent need for Spanish speaking service, the youth will be transferred to the Counselor assigned to that youth's specific geographic area.

Parents/Guardians play a very important role in the services that a Juvenile Department provides for a youth. The majority of the background information about a youth is gathered from the family, thus communication is very important and sometimes very difficult to establish due to various reasons. One obstacle the Clackamas County Juvenile Department is attempting to eliminate is the language barrier. By assigning Spanish speaking youth or youth who have Spanish speaking parents to a Spanish speaking Counselor, it eliminates that barrier and makes for a much more open and comfortable line of communication between the youth/family and Counselor.

For more information please call Eric Barrera at (503) 722-6624, or e-mail

Share this page

Contact Us

Juvenile Department
2121 Kaen Road
Oregon City, OR 97045