Services Departments Government

Flood Insurance

Flood devastation

If you're a Clackamas County resident or property owner, you have the option to buy flood insurance whether or not you live in a floodplain.  For more information, call the Planning Division at 503-742-4500.

Here's Why . . .

Protect Yourself and Your Property

What is covered by flood insurance? 
Flood insurance covers buildings and their contents when inundated or undermined by floodwaters.  Flood insurance may also provide financial help to upgrade buildings to current floodplain construction standards. 

Building coverage includes:

Contents coverage includes:

How much coverage can I get?

Where can I purchase flood insurance?  
Flood insurance is sold through private insurance companies and agents, and backed by the federal government; you can buy it through your insurance agent.

When should I buy flood insurance?
Buy it now; before a flood appears imminent!  There is a 30-day waiting period for new coverage to become effective, so it's important not to wait until risk of a flood.  (The only exception to the 30-day wait is when flood insurance is required of a loan upon closing.)

I live in a condo–can I get flood insurance? Yes, there are three forms of flood insurance policies and flood insurance is also available to renters: 

How much does flood insurance cost?
If you live in an area at moderate to low risk for floods and are eligible for the Preferred Risk Policy, your flood insurance premium may be as low as $129 a year, including coverage for your property's contents.

What is a Preferred Risk Policy?
This policy offers multiple coverage combinations for both buildings and contents (or contents only, for renters) in moderate-to-low risk areas. Policies are available for buildings that meet eligibility requirements based on the building's flood loss history.

What is a floodplain?
A floodplain is an area of land subject to flooding that is next to a river, stream, lake, estuary or other body of water.  Clackamas County has about 20,000 acres of land and 10,000 individual land parcels in floodplains.  Rivers and streams particularly prone to flood include the Clackamas, Molalla, Pudding, Salmon, Sandy, Tualatin, Willamette, Zig Zag, Johnson Creek, Abernethy Creek, Beavercreek, Milk Creek and Cedar Creek.  

How can I find out if I live in a floodplain? 
Contact the city in which you live, or call County Planning at 503-742-4500.

Can I buy flood insurance if I don't live in a floodplain? 
Yes, because Clackamas County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, federally-backed flood insurance is available for all structures in the county.  In fact, more than 25% of NFIP claims are filed by owners of property outside the 100-year floodplain.  And with rivers, like the Sandy, that flood outside of traditional floodplains, flood insurance is even more important.

Prepare for Possible Future Floods

Help Prevent Floods

Don't dump or throw anything into ditches or streams
A plugged channel cannot carry water, and when it rains, the excess water must go somewhere.

Remove debris, trash, loose branches and vegetation
Keep banks clear of brush and debris to help maintain an unobstructed flow of water in stream channels. Do not, however, remove vegetation actively growing on a stream bank, which is regulated by local, state and federal agencies.

Obtain a floodplain development permit and/or building permit, if required
To minimize damage to structures during floods, the County requires all new construction in the floodplain to be anchored against movement by floodwaters, resistant to flood forces, constructed with flood-resistant materials and flood-proofed or elevated so the first floor of living space, as well as all mechanical and services, is at least one foot above the elevation of the 100-year flood.  These standards apply to new structures and to substantial improvements of existing structures. Most other types of development within the floodplain also require a floodplain development permit, such as grading, cut and fill, and bank stabilization techniques.

For More Information

Flood Smart

DID YOU KNOW . . . Depending where you are in Clackamas County, you receive an average of 43 to 88+ inches of rain every year.

Clackamas County is a member of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
As a NFIP member, the County must oversee the floodplain based on standards set by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).  In turn, property owners must buy flood insurance for all residences in the floodplain.  Most lending institutions also require flood insurance for structures in the floodplain.

Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) Coverage
ICC coverage is part of most standard flood insurance policies.  Claims for ICC benefits are filed separately from a claim for contents of building loss.  Eligible property owners can collect up to $30,000 to help cover the cost of bringing their home or business into compliance with floodplain ordinances.  ICC benefits can also be used to help pay for required improvements to buildings that have been repeatedly or severely damaged by flooding.

Clackamas County Planning & Zoning
150 Beavercreek Rd., Oregon City, OR  97045

Clackamas County Emergency Management
2200 Kaen Rd., Suite A, Oregon City, OR 97045

Share this page

Development Services Building

Planning and Zoning Division

Phone number 503-742-4500
M–F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Address 150 Beavercreek Road
Oregon City, OR 97045
Hours M–Th: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
F: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.