Services Departments Government

Clackamas County Marijuana Land Use Regulations Approved by Board of County Commissioners*

Updated: Jan. 6, 2016

After months of study, research, public input, Planning Commission hearings and Board of County Commission hearings, the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners approved marijuana land use regulations by voice vote at the end of a land use hearing on Dec. 2, 2015, and approved on the final ordinance Dec 17, 2015. This document provides a brief overview of the regulations, including where marijuana businesses will be allowed in unincorporated Clackamas County and some of the major conditions that will apply. This document is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal guidance. In addition to new marijuana land use regulations, marijuana businesses will have to comply with the same building, fire and other codes that apply to businesses in Clackamas County, as well as to Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) requirements for recreational marijuana and Oregon Health Authority (OHA) requirements for medical marijuana. The regulations are available in the Zoning & Development Ordinance (ZDO).

The marijuana land use ordinance approved by the Board of County Commissioners ...

... Apply only to unincorporated Clackamas County, and set limits on where and how various marijuana businesses can operate;

... Do not apply to: Noncommercial growing or processing of recreational marijuana, as allowed by state law without a license from OLCC

... Do apply to: Recreational marijuana businesses (growing, processing, wholesaling or retailing) licensed by the OLCC

  Production/Grow Processing Wholesaling Retailing
Business Park (BP), Light Industrial (LI), General Industrial (GI) Primary use## ++ Primary use## ++ Primary use## ++ PROHIBITED
Village Office (VO) PROHIBITED Primary use##; extract and concentrate processing prohibited PROHIBITED PROHIBITED
Corridor Commercial (CC), General Commercial (C-3), Station Community Mixed Use (SCMU), Office Commercial (OC) PROHIBITED Primary use##; extract and concentrate processing prohibited PROHIBITED Primary use***
Neighborhood Commercial (NC), Community Commercial (C-2), Regional Center Commercial (RCC), Retail Commercial (RTL), Planned Mixed Use (PMU), Regional Center Office (RCO) PROHIBITED PROHIBITED PROHIBITED Primary use***
Exclusive Farm Use (EFU), Ag/Forest (AG/F) Primary use* +++ Primary use* +++; extract and concentrate processing prohibited PROHIBITED PROHIBITED
Rural Residential Farm Forest 5 Acre (RRFF5), Farm Forest 10 acre (FF10) Primary use** PROHIBITED PROHIBITED PROHIBITED
Rural Commercial (RC), Rural Tourist Commercial (RTC) PROHIBITED PROHIBITED Primary use## + Primary use***
Rural Industrial (RI) Primary use## ++ Primary use## ++ Primary use## ++ PROHIBITED

*Conditions for production and processing are set for minimum lot size, minimum set-back from lot line, indoor processing only, access, odor, noise, lighting, security cameras, water and waste management. Some standards may not apply to medical marijuana production and processing, but in that case indoor production and processing must maintain a larger lot line setback than would otherwise apply. **Conditions for production in rural residential zones include those mentioned above, as well as requirements that the owner or licensee/registrant lives on the property, the business be in completely enclosed buildings and building size limits. Some of the standards may not apply to medical marijuana production, but in that case indoor production must maintain a larger lot line setback than would otherwise apply (details in ZDO Section 841). ***Conditions for retailing include operating hours, odor, window service (not allowed), waste management, minors (not allowed on premises unless allowed by state law), no co-location of related activities and uses, and minimum separation distances. ##Use must be confined to completely enclosed buildings. +4,000 sq. ft. total building space limit/property. ++20,000 sq. ft. total building space limit/property for all marijuana-related land uses on the property. +++It’s not clear whether state law permits medical marijuana production in EFU, AG/F and TBR or medical marijuana processing in EFU and AG/F. Resolution may require state legislative action or a court decision.

The regulations do not permit any recreational or medical marijuana businesses – production, processing, wholesaling or retailing – in the following zoning districts:

Urban Residential Districts

Rural Residential Districts

Urban Commercial Districts

Urban Industrial Districts

Requirements for marijuana businesses include the following.



For More and Updated Information:

The Commission plans to have new regulations in place by January 2016, when the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) is required to begin accepting applications for licenses related to marijuana businesses.

STATE BACKGROUND: In November 2014, Oregon voters approved Measure 91, legalizing the use of marijuana for personal recreational use. In 2015, the State Legislature approved five bills that amend and provide regulations related to recreational and medical marijuana. State law gives the county the authority to adopt “reasonable regulations” regarding recreational and medical marijuana. The law defines four types of marijuana business:


Share this page

Development Services Building

Planning and Zoning Division

Phone number 503-742-4500
M–F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Address 150 Beavercreek Road
Oregon City, OR 97045
Hours M–Th: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
F: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.