Clackamas County residents invited to nominate 2013 Heritage Trees; nominations due Tuesday, Feb. 12
The Clackamas County Heritage Tree Program encourages residents and property owners to identify and protect individual trees or groups of trees that meet one or more of the following qualifications:
- Specimen: A tree of exceptional size, form or rarity, or horticultural value
- Historic: A tree of exceptional age, and/or associated with or contribution to an historic structure or district or with a noted person or historic event
- Landmark: A tree that is a prominent identifying feature of a community
- Collection: A group of trees in a notable grove, avenue or other planting
Heritage Tree nominations for 2013 must be completed and turned in to the Clackamas County Planning & Zoning Division no later than Tuesday, February 12. Nominated trees will be inspected by an arborist in March to ensure criteria are met, and then forwarded to the County’s Historic Review Board. The Historic Review Board will recommend trees to be recognized to the County Board of Commissioners, which will designate all approved trees as Heritage Trees in May (National Historic Preservation Month).
In the five years since the program began, more than 410 trees throughout unincorporated Clackamas County have been recognized as Heritage Trees. Anyone may nominate a tree or trees, but the person or organization that owns the land on which the tree stands must consent to the nomination. Trees located in County right-of-way are not eligible. There are no regulatory restrictions associated with the designation.
Landowners whose nominations are approved have three options for recognition:
- At no charge to landowner: Recognition at a Board of County Commissioners meeting, and on the County website and in the County newsletter, Citizen News;
- For $40: All of the above, plus a plaque and stand on which to display the plaque;
- For $75: All of the above, plus recognition as a contributor to the Clackamas County Heritage Tree Program.
More information about the Heritage Tree Program and nomination forms are available on the County website at http://www.clackamas.us/planning/heritagetree.html or by contacting Lorraine Gonzales at 503-742-4541 or email@example.com.
Share this page