News Release from: Clackamas Co. Sheriff's OfficePosted: December 4-7, 2013
Media and Interested Parties
UPDATED 12/7 -- SAMANTHA DODSON FOUND, McCUNE IN CUSTODY: Sheriff's Office seeks endangered runaway, age 13; may be with male, age 40
- UPDATE (12/7) -- Kelsey McCune booking photo
- KGW's raw video of Dec. 5 press conference
- New Clear Channel billboard image
- New search bulletin (PDF format)
- 4 recent Samantha Dodson photos: [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ collage of all 4 photos ]
- Endangered runaway Samantha Dodson, age 13, of Oregon City
- Another photo of Samantha Dodson
- Collage of Samantha Dodson photos (2 photos)
- Collage of Samantha Dodson photos (5 photos)
- Kelsey McCune, age 40
Please reference Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Case # 13-36560
UPDATE (December 7th, 2013, 7:02 p.m. ) -- SHERIFF'S OFFICE LOCATES SAMANTHA DODSON; KELSEY McCUNE IN CUSTODY
The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office has located missing runaway Samantha Dodson in good condition.
She was located shortly after 4 p.m. in a wooded area just outside of Oregon City. Kelsey McCune was also located and taken into custody. Both were together when contacted, and taken into custody without incident.
Kelsey McCune was taken into custody on a warrant. Detectives are currently interviewing Mr. McCune.
A tip from a citizen who spotted two people matching the description on the flyer led deputies to the location. The citizen reported seeing Dodson and McCune in a wooded park area at the north end of the Country Village Mobile Home Park.
Containment was set up, and the area was searched by the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office SWAT Team. The SWAT Team was used due to the size of the area to search and need to quickly cover the area.
THANKS TO CITIZENS, MEDIA
The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office would like to thank all the citizens who called in with tips. Thank you also to the media for getting this story out quickly and accurately.
Sheriff's Office detectives would also like to thank the FBI and Clackamas County Major Crimes Team for their help on this complex investigation.
EARLIER (DEC. 7, 5 p.m.): Samantha Dodson located just outside Oregon City. She is in good condition. Kelsey McCune is in custody. Updated news release soon.
EARLIER (Friday 12/6, 5:45 p.m.): Warrant issued for Kelsey McCune's arrest on second-degree kidnapping charges; tips sought
A Clackamas County warrant was issued today for the arrest of Kelsey "Patrick" McCune, age 40, no known address. The charge is one count of second-degree kidnapping.
McCune is believed to be traveling with endangered runaway Samantha Dodson, age 13.
A search bulletin (PDF format) containing photos of McCune with and without facial hair can be found here.
Other photos of Samantha Dodson are linked above.
McCune is described as a white male, age 40, 6 feet tall and 170 lbs., with a glass eye and salt-and-pepper hair. has no known address, but is known to make money doing freelance computer work. He may be carrying large duffel bags and/or backpacks with camping-type gear.
If you see Samantha Dodson or Kelsey McCune, please call 911 immediately. Tips and info can also be sent to our Tip Line -- by calling (503) 723-4949 or by using the online e-mail form.
UPDATE (12/5, 1:44 p.m.): STATEMENT FROM SAMANTHA DODSON'S PARENTS, STEPHANIE AND JOHN DODSON, READ BY SISTER SARAH DODSON DURING TODAY'S 1 P.M. PRESS CONFERENCE
SARAH DODSON: I want to read a statement to Samantha from her parents, John and Stephanie. They've asked me to speak for the family.
Sami, your mom and dad are worried about you. Your brothers and sisters are worried about you. Your friends are worried about you. It's cold out there, and you just can't be out in that cold.
Please call us, or call 911, and let us know you're safe. Please come home.
A lot of worried people are out looking for you right now. Your friends are sharing their concern and spreading the word. And the community is doing everything they can to find you.
Please call and let ALL of us know you're okay.
Your family and friends love and miss you.
EARLIER (12/5, 10:45 A.M.): PRESS BRIEFING SET FOR 1 P.M. TODAY; NEW CLEAR CHANNEL BILLBOARDS; TEAMS SEARCHING NEWELL CREEK AREA; DODSON AND McCUNE MAY BE USING PUBLIC TRANSIT
Morning updates on the search for 13-year-old endangered runaway Samantha Dodson, who may have left with 40-year-old male Kelsey McCune:
• A press briefing is set for 1 p.m. at the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Brooks Building (9101 SE Sunnybrook Blvd., Clackamas, OR 97015). UPDATE: KGW's raw video of the press conference is here.
• The search is continuing, with the help of the FBI and other agencies. SWAT personnel, working with search-and-rescue (SAR) coordinators, are searching the Newell Creek area in Oregon City. SWAT is a uniquely skilled team well-qualified to search this terrain. They are also the largest law-enforcement resource that could be activated quickly to work with SAR coordinators.
• Authorities believe Samantha Dodson, age 13, and Kelsey "Patrick" McCune, age 40, may be using public transit. They may also have camping equipment. The Sheriff's Office is concerned about Dodson's welfare because of the record-cold temperatures expected to last for days -- leading CCSO to deploy extra resources in this case.
• Dodson's family and law enforcement are deeply concerned, and urge her to contact 911 or family as soon as possible to make sure she is safe.
• Kelsey McCune has no known address, but is known to make money doing freelance computer work. He may be carrying large duffel bags and/or backpacks with camping-type gear.
• Thanks to the help and cooperation of the FBI and Clear Channel, a new billboard is going up on McLoughlin Boulevard featuring the latest known photo of Samantha Dodson. Two more Clear Channel billboards are also planned for Washington County. An image of this billboard is attached to this release.
• Also attached to this release is a PDF of the latest public bulletin on the case. It contains a Photoshopped image of Kelsey McCune without facial hair.
• Again: If you see Samantha Dodson or Kelsey McCune, please call 911 immediately. Tips and info can also be sent to our Tip Line -- by calling (503) 723-4949 or by using the online e-mail form.
EARLIER (WEDNESDAY, DEC. 4, 2013_:
UPDATE: Note to media: We urge news outlets on Twitter and Facebook to use the hashtag #FindSamantha to help get the word out on social media about the search for Samantha Dodson. Also, several additional photos of Samantha Dodson are now linked above.
The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office is looking for an endangered 13-year-old runaway, possibly in the company of a 40-year-old male. Citizens are urged to call 911 immediately if they see her.
The endangered runaway -- Samantha Dodson, age 13, of Oregon City -- was last seen in the Oregon City area last night (Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013). She is described as a white female, 5-foot-4 and 125 lbs., with brown eyes and a slim build. Her hair was recently dyed red. Her most recent photo is here.
Samantha Dodson may be in the company of a 40-year-old male named Kelsey McCune. He is described as a white male, age 40, 6 feet tall and 170 lbs., with a glass eye and salt-and-pepper hair. He has no known address. His photo is here.
Kelsey McCune and Samantha Dodson may be looking for places to camp.
If you see Samantha Dodson or Kelsey McCune, please call 911 immediately. Tips and info can be sent to our Tip Line -- by calling (503) 723-4949 or by using the online e-mail form.
Please reference Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Case # 13-36560
Robert Wurpes, Sergeant
Office of Public Information
Clackamas County Sheriff's Office
[ END ]
Share this page