Residents of the city of Damascus voted to disincorporate on May 17, 2016. Formal disincorporation occurred on July 18, 2016.
Damascus’ lands, businesses and former city residents have reverted to Clackamas County jurisdiction, as was the case prior to the city’s incorporation in 2004.
Damascus Excess Moneys Distribution
Beginning July 18, 2016, the total funds transferred to Clackamas County equaled $8,398,558. These funds were used and distributed per Oregon House Bill 3086 as follow:
- $3,000,000 was placed in a special County account and used to pay certain obligations related to transitioning Damascus employees to the County payroll (for up to one year), the continuation of law enforcement, and other services that were integrated into the County’s structure.
- $2,854,339 (remaining fund balances for the road and street funds at the time of disincorporation) was designated for exclusive use on roads within the former City.
- $2,544,219 was set aside to distribute back to taxpayers who met certain criteria.
Now that all financial obligations have been realized and satisfied, and in accordance with Oregon House Bill 3086, unspent money will be distributed back to property taxpayers (who meet certain criteria outlined below) based on previous property taxes paid.
Preliminary figures show the dollars to be distributed back to property taxpayers will equal $3,752,140.20. This figure is comprised of:
- the original $2,544,219
- interest earnings of $94,090.37
- miscellaneous credits of $62,657.77
- the County efficiently needing to spend only $1,948,826.94 of the $3,000,000 that had been set aside to pay obligations
Where’s my Distribution?
Excess moneys transferred to Clackamas County from the former City will begin to be distributed and mailed to property owners who meet statutory requirements on or around July 23, 2018.
Who is Eligible?
According to Oregon House Bill 3086, excess moneys transferred to Clackamas County shall be distributed by the County to each person that:
- Owned taxable property as of June 30, 2016.
- For which property taxes were paid in full to the City of Damascus for the property tax year beginning on July 1, 2015.
- In an amount determined by multiplying the amount of all excess moneys to be distributed by the ratio of the cumulative amount of ad valorem property taxes certified by the City and paid with respect to the property owned by the person for the property tax years beginning on July 1, 2013, and ending on June 30, 2016.
- To the cumulative amount of ad valorem property taxes certified by the City and paid with respect to property owned by all persons eligible for the distribution for the property tax years beginning on July 1, 2013, and ending on June 30, 2016.
Please note, a distribution is not required if the amount of the distribution is $10 or less.
For more information on the law governing the distribution of excess moneys related to the Damascus disincorporation visit the Oregon Legislature website.
If you have any questions or concerns about the excess moneys distribution, please contact Clackamas County Assessment & Taxation at 503-655-8671 or email email@example.com