$17.13 - $21.53/hour DOE
The North Clackamas Parks & Recreation District (NCPRD) seeks an independent and resourceful individual who enjoys working in the natural resources field with diverse groups of people to join our team as a seasonal Natural Areas Technical Assistant. Under direction, this position will provide general, day-to-day park natural area support for NCPRD.
Diversity is a goal: NCPRD is an equal opportunity provider and we encourage diversity, please apply.
Roles and Responsibilities
Natural Area Maintenance:
- Natural Area Maintenance: Non-native plant control (using herbicides, PPE, chainsaws, other tools and mechanized equipment); monitoring and cleanup of unauthorized camps, garbage, and vandalism; Trail maintenance; Maintaining equipment, signs, fence and other park infrastructure;
- Planting, Plant salvaging, and Seed collection; Erosion control; Mulching; Plant protection; working with groups and volunteers (will require some weekend work) and tracking work activities.
Duties require frequent to continuous standing, walking, squatting, kneeling, bending, twisting, balancing, climbing, overhead reaching, grasping, fine motor control, and the ability to carry up to 60 pounds, lift and push/pull 100 pounds. Duties also involve exposure to confined spaces, loud noises, vibration, slippery and/or uneven surfaces, working at heights, exhaust fumes and dust, chemicals, and adverse weather conditions including extreme temperatures.
- Ability to work long days outside in the field in all weather conditions and traverse over uneven terrain wearing a backpack and/or carrying weight in hands.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test
- Must successfully pass a criminal history check, which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
- Employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer physical assessment. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with state and federal legislation.
- Driving may be necessary for County business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver's license. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. For position(s) with regular driving, incumbent(s) must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
A cooperative manner and the ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to keep a positive attitude when performing intensive labor, monotonous and/or tedious tasks
- Ability and willingness to be flexible with last minute changes in schedule and tasks
- Ability to ask questions for clarification and job completion
- Willingness to have a flexible schedule, including some weekends
- Safety conscious, always putting safety first! Safe operation and maintenance of a truck with trailer, landscape dump truck, and power tools.
- Knowledge of plant id and/or the regions’ (PNW and Clackamas County) natural system (e.g. native and non-native plants)
$17.14 - $21.53 per hour. Starting salaries will be within the posted pay range based on job-related factors such as experience, training and/or education. A temporary status or seasonal status position does not receive benefits. Employees will accrue one (1) hour of sick leave for every thirty (30) hours worked with a maximum accrual of eighty (80) hours per year.
Hours and Duration
This is a full-time seasonal position working from May 2022 – September 2022 (5 months).
- 40 hours per week
- NCPRD works a 4 x 10 hour schedule Monday- Thursday weekly schedule.
- Employee must be available for occasional weekend work (e.g. volunteer events) and time during the week will be flexed to accommodate the infrequent weekend work.
Please send letter of interest and/or resume via email to:
Natural Areas and Trails
North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District
This position is currently open until filled. The first application review will be Monday, May 9, 2022. We reserve the right to close this recruitment at any time on or after that date.