Transitional Housing for the Homeless

Transitional housing helps people get off the streets and in to stable housing.

The Housing Authority's Transitional Housing Program is designed to:

  • House homeless families with children;
  • Coordinate the provision of necessary social services; and
  • Enable the family to achieve and sustain self-sufficiency and independent living within a supportive environment.

The Transitional Housing program is operated in an apartment complex that was acquired in 1990 with a HUD Supported Housing Program Grant. It consists of nine two-bedroom apartments, one of which is reserved for the on-site manager.

The HUD grant also provides funding for operations and supportive services. The program is a collaborative effort between the Housing Authority and Clackamas County Social Services Division in cooperation with the county's only two emergency shelters -- The Annie Ross House and Clackamas Women's Services. Other community agencies and organizations provide essential supportive services to families in the program.

The Transitional Housing Program is a very limited resource. Therefore, residency is limited to families that are realistically capable of achieving self-sufficiency within the maximum two-year stay. Families in the program are expected to seek and obtain permanent housing in accordance with a case management plan that is mutually agreed upon by the family and the case manager. To be considered for the program the family must:

  • Be nominated by either Clackamas Women's Shelter or Annie Ross House;
  • Meet the HUD definition of homeless; and
  • Agree to work with the case manager to achieve self-sufficiency.

Residents of the program pay rents in accordance with federal regulations relating to the Supportive Housing Program.

For more information please call 503-650-3535.