MAP-IT is a 15-person, community-driven task force established in 2012 to help implement the projects and programs outlined by the MAP 1 and MAP 2 committees. (Statement of Purpose) Membership is made up of representatives from area community planning organizations (CPOs) and businesses.
MAP-IT was recognized by the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners in 2013 (Letter of Recognition) and submits quarterly reports to the Board. The county has reaffirmed its agreement with MAP-IT each subsequent year. In March 2018, the Board continued its recognition for MAP-IT indefinitely, and approved the following two documents prepared for and approved by the MAP-IT member organizations:
For earlier reports, contact Ellen Rogalin, 503-742-4274.
For more information about MAP-IT activities, contact MAP-IT Chair Terry John Gibson at email@example.com.
McLoughlin Area Plan Phase I (MAP 1) -- McLoughlin Area Plan Vision Framework
McLoughlin Area Plan Phase II (MAP 2) -- MAP Phase II Report
The Five Components of the McLoughlin Area Plan, approved by the Board of County Commissioners on condition upon board approval to spend staff resources, March 15, 2016
Park Avenue Development and Design Standards Project – In late 2017, MAP-IT and the county received a $180,000 Metro 2040 Planning & Development Grant to develop and implement an inclusive and extensive public outreach process to create development and design standards for the commercial area around the light-rail station at the corner of Park Avenue and McLoughlin Boulevard. The standards are intended to implement the community values and guiding principles of the McLoughlin Area Plan, developed and approved by the community from 2008-12, and the Five Components of the McLoughlin Area Plan, approved by the Board of County Commissioners in 2015. The project will also include an assessment of neighborhood livability and economic diversity in the residential areas surrounding the Park Avenue station.
- Postcard notice to people who live, work or own property in the project area, February 2018
- Grant application – June 30, 2017
- Board Policy Session – Metro 2040 Community Planning & Development Grants, June 23, 2017
History of the McLoughlin Boulevard Area
Oak Grove was named at the suggestion of Edward W. Cornell, a member of the surveying party that platted the townsite in the 1890s. The company that was developing the property had not been able to come up with a good name for the place and Cornell suggested Oak Grove after a crew ate lunch in a stand of oak trees in the northwestern part of the tract.
According to Oregon Geographic Names, Jennings Lodge was platted as a townsite in 1905 and named after Berryman Jennings, an Oregon pioneer, one of whose children still owned Jennings' house in 1927. "McLoughlin Boulevard was originally US Route 99E, part of the major north-south Pacific Highway through Oregon's Willamette Valley to California. US Route 99E had its heyday just after WWII until it was eclipsed by Interstate 5, finished in 1966. Thereafter, the Boulevard, demoted into Oregon Route 99E, declined as Portland grew." – June Underwood, Painting Portland
McLoughlin was named after Dr. John McLoughlin, one of the most influential figures of the fur trade and settlement periods of Pacific Northwest history. Chief Factor of the Columbia District of the British Hudson's Bay Company, he reigned as a benevolent autocrat, befriended Americans, and eventually became an American citizen at Oregon City. In 1842 he surveyed and laid out the town site of Oregon City (formerly called Willamette Falls), and was mayor of Oregon City from 1851 until his death in 1857.
Until 1964, U.S. Route 99 was the main North-South highway on the U.S. West Coast running from Calexico, California at the U.S. Mexico border to Blaine, Washington on the U.S. side of the Canada border. In 1926, it was signed as a route of the United States Numbered Highways system, and remained in use until it was replaced for the most part by Interstate 5. Large portions are now California's State Route 99, Oregon's Route 99 and Washington's State Route 99.