Clackamas County Board approves urban/rural reserves findings, intergovernmental agreement


Update: An earlier version of this press release failed to note that the vote to approve urban/rural reserves findings was 4-0. Commissioner Sonya Fischer had been called away for jury duty. This version reflects that.

The Clackamas County Board of Commissioners today unanimously approved an ordinance to adopt findings that affirm the designation of urban and rural reserves in the metro region. The vote was 4-0; Commissioner Sonya Fischer was called away for jury duty.

That action was taken immediately after the commission unanimously approved an intergovernmental agreement (IGA) between the county, Metro and the cities of West Linn, Tualatin and Lake Oswego on potential future urbanization of the Stafford area in unincorporated Clackamas County.

The Stafford area – an unincorporated area generally north of I-205; surrounded by the cities of West Linn, Tualatin and Lake Oswego – was originally approved as urban reserve in 2010.

Board Chair Jim Bernard said, “I am excited about putting this behind us. We and the cities will be working with Stafford to address their needs.”

The action today was taken in response to a remand from the Oregon Court of Appeals and the Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development in 2014 regarding findings from the urban and rural reserves process that Metro, and Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties conducted from 2008-10.

The board’s action did not revisit the regionally agreed-upon map of urban and rural reserves from 2010, but rather adopted revised findings that further supported the original reserve designations. Most notably, the revised findings provide additional information about the future provision of transportation infrastructure for the unincorporated Stafford area if it were to be urbanized in the future. 

The approved IGA, ordinance and related material are available at

For more information, members of the media may contact Public Affairs Manager Tim Heider at 503-742-5911.