From: Todd Loggan, Public & Government Affairs, 503-742-4562
Media and Interested Parties
Residents of the former city of Damascus voted to disincorporate on May 17, 2016. Formal disincorporation occurred on July 18, 2016.
Beginning July 18, 2016, the total funds transferred to Clackamas County equaled $8,398,558. These funds were used and distributed per Oregon House Bill 3086 as follow:
- $3,000,000 was placed in a special county account and used to pay certain obligations related to transitioning Damascus employees to the county payroll (for up to one year), the continuation of law enforcement, and other services that were integrated into the county’s structure.
- $2,854,339 (remaining fund balances for the road and street funds at time of the disincorporation) was designated for exclusive use on roads within the former city.
- $2,544,219 was set aside to distribute back to taxpayers who met certain criteria.
Now that all financial obligations have been realized and satisfied, unspent money will be distributed back to property taxpayers (who meet certain criteria outlined below) based on previous property taxes paid:
- Owned taxable property as of June 30, 2016.
- For which property taxes were paid in full to the City of Damascus for the property tax year beginning on July 1, 2015.
For more information on the formula used to determine the individual disbursement amount, please visit: https://www.clackamas.us/damascus.
Preliminary figures show the dollars to be distributed back to property taxpayers will equal $3,752,140.20. This figure is comprised of:
- the original $2,544,219
- interest earnings of $94,090.37
- miscellaneous credits of $62,657.77
- the County efficiently needing to spend only $1,948,826.94 of the $3,000,000 that had been set aside to pay obligations
Distribution will begin on or around July 23, 2018.
“Of the $3 million set aside for the county to use to settle the city’s obligations, the county only spent approximately $1.95 million,” stated Clackamas Board Chair Jim Bernard. “The county has been a responsible steward of the money and we are proud to return even more to property owners than anticipated.”
For more information on the law governing the distribution of excess moneys related to the Damascus disincorporation visit:
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Clackamas County Assessment & Taxation at 503-655-8671 or email email@example.com