Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Clackamas County READ MORE

Housing Authority of Clackamas County receives new funding to help youth who are aging out of foster care

Main Content

The Housing Authority of Clackamas County is the first housing authority in Oregon to be approved to participate in the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)’s new Foster Youth to Independence initiative

The program was designed to serve people ages 18 to 24 who have, or are, aging out of foster care and are at risk of experiencing homelessness.

The housing authority will initially receive $68,820 in housing voucher funds to assist eight youth but will continue to receive additional funds as youth are identified for the program authorized to serve 25.

Clackamas County’s housing authority was one of only four in the U.S. awarded to participate in this initiative.

“We are thrilled to be able to support young people as they transition out of the foster care system,” said Jill Smith, Director of Housing and Housing Services. “We know that these young residents can use this money to help them live independently, and that this stability will help them be successful as they transition into adulthood.”

Youth receiving these funds will qualify for supportive services that include basic life skills, job preparation, educational and career counseling, as well as counseling on program and lease compliance.

The vouchers offer 36 months of assistance, helping youths find a path to employment and education. 

“This funding will go hand in hand with the $1.7 million in funding that we received last fall to develop and support programs that address youth homelessness,” said Health, Housing and Human Services Director, Richard Swift. 

“I am incredibly thankful to our Housing Authority staff and all of our partner agencies, especially DHS, for working together to create this successful application and securing this crucial funding, as it will support a group of youth who are truly at risk for houselessness,” he said.

If you are experiencing a housing crisis or homelessness, call Clackamas County’s Coordinated Housing Access line at 503-655-8575.

Department Staff
Beth Byrne
Public & Government Affairs