At this morning’s Business Meeting, the Board of County Commissioners passed a Resolution Condemning Violence and Racism Directed at Black, African Americans and all People of Color.
The full resolution language appears below.
A Resolution Condemning Violence and Racism Directed at Black, African Americans and all People of Color
WHEREAS, We are shocked and appalled by the horrific actions leading to George Floyd’s death, and we stand with his family, community and this country in a call for justice; and
WHEREAS, the United States, the state of Oregon, and Clackamas County have been guilty of committing acts of oppression against Black and African Americans, and urgent progress must be made to achieve racial justice; and
WHEREAS, recent incidents of violence directed toward Black and African Americans is an outrage; and
WHEREAS, these acts represent a blatant disregard for the dignity and sanctity of human life; and
WHEREAS, the Black and African American struggle highlights the historic and unconscionable racism that exists against people of color; and
WHEREAS, too many Black, African Americans and People of Color in our country live in fear of losing their lives because of the color of their skin; and
WHEREAS, our nation’s future well-being relies on a public system that confronts systemic bias, institutionalized racism and supports efforts to ensure that Black, African American and all People of Color thrive in the communities where they live; and
WHEREAS, Clackamas County has a shared core value of equity and is committed to respecting every individual's right to dream and their history and cultural heritage being celebrated; and
WHEREAS, Clackamas County has a shared core value of care, in that we develop inclusive and welcoming environments for all people.
NOW THEREFORE, the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners do hereby resolve as follows:
- Clackamas County Board of Commissioners and all its staff join with America in sharing its anger, shame and sorrow about the intolerable violence directed at Black, African Americans and People of Color.
- Clackamas County Board of Commissioners condemns the violent and disrespectful treatment of Black, African Americans and People of Color. Our organization does not and will not tolerate, nor accept in any way, treatment of Black, African Americans or People of Color that degrades their dignity or disregards their human life.
- Clackamas County Board of Commissioners calls on all elected officials and all government agencies to recognize the value and contribution of the lives of Black, African Americans, and all People of Color to remove barriers to greater to equality.
- Clackamas County will review all of its policies and ordinances for any discriminatory impacts and practices and encourage other jurisdictions to do the same.
- Clackamas County Board of Commissioners will engage in listening and learning opportunities with communities of color to learn of their experiences to better help in improving policies and practices that include but not limited to law enforcement, justice system, economic disparities, education disparities, and land use and transportation policies that displace communities and low income families disproportionately.