Register for the Famous Thanksgiving Dinner by Nov. 12
COVID-19 will not stop the Milwaukie Center’s 30-year tradition of hosting their Famous Thanksgiving Dinner to raise funds for their Nutrition Program and Meals on Wheels.
While the in-person event is cancelled this year, community members can still celebrate the season by receiving a delicious meal delivered directly to their home or available for pickup Wednesday, Nov. 25. To enjoy this meal you must pre-register by Thursday, Nov. 12.
The Famous Thanksgiving Dinner typically brings hundreds of community members together to enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving meal, and to support the mission of making sure ‘no senior goes hungry.’ This Thanksgiving, things will look a bit different, but the mission remains the same.
Here are the details:
- The Milwaukie Center kitchen will prepare a full meal, including roast turkey, gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, dressing, green beans, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin custard for dessert (a vegetarian dinner option is also available).
- You must sign up by Thursday, Nov. 12.
- The minimum donation is $15 per meal.
- The meals will be packaged cold and available for delivery or pick up at the Milwaukie Center on Wednesday, November 25, between noon and 1:30 p.m.
- Volunteer drivers for Meals on Wheels will deliver meals to homes during the same timeframe if delivery is requested.
Fundraising to feed our elderly neighbors is more important now than ever.
As the result of COVID-19 and the Milwaukie Center being temporarily closed to the public, many of the Nutrition Program’s fundraisers have been canceled. With the record number of requests for Meals on Wheels deliveries for homebound older adults, fundraising is more important than ever. The Federal government funds approximately one half of each meal, with the remaining amount relying on community contributions and fundraising efforts.
Please register online by Nov. 12. For questions, call the Nutrition Program at 503-654-3030.
The Milwaukie Center’s Nutrition Program, operated by North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District, has provided Meals on Wheels to community members in north Clackamas County for the last 40 years. Over 55,000 meals are served each year to homebound older adults and people with disabilities. Nutritious meals are made fresh daily and delivered directly to homes by dedicated volunteers – rain or shine. Meals on Wheels isn’t just about nutrition; this program is also about connecting with the most vulnerable members of our community.