NOTICE OF RECEIPT OF BALLOT TITLE
Clackamas County Sheriff
Notice is hereby given on May 18, 2021, a Measure Election will be conducted by mail in Clackamas County, Oregon, at which there will be submitted to qualified voters of Clackamas County the following question:
Five-Year County Sheriff Public Safety Local Option Levy
This measure may cause property taxes to increase more than three percent.
Shall Clackamas County fund law enforcement with rate of 36.8 cents per $1,000 assessed value for five years beginning 2022?
This measure would replace the current Public Safety Levy which was approved by voters in 2016 and expires in 2021. Approval of this levy will allow the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office to:
- Support community safety in every part of Clackamas County by providing approximately:
- 34 Sheriff’s patrol deputies responding to emergency calls for service and patrolling our roadways;
- 5 Sheriff’s detectives to investigate elder abuse/neglect cases; child abuse/neglect cases; human trafficking, and felony crimes against persons
- Maintain 84 jail beds by funding 30 Sheriff’s jail deputies. These 84 beds opened upon the passage of the first levy in 2006 and have reduced the number of prisoners released early into the community.
- Open 26 mental health/medical jail beds by funding 6 Sheriff’s jail deputies.
- Implement a new body-worn camera program.
- Add 2 internal affairs investigators.
- Maintain funding for Sheriff’s specialized drug enforcement team targeting drug traffickers and those involved in drug-related crimes such as identity theft, property crimes, child abuse and neglect.
This measure would cost 36.8 cents per $1000 of assessed value. The cost would be approximately $8.19 per month, or $98.26 per year, on a home with an assessed value of $267,000 (the median assessed value of a home in Clackamas County). It is estimated the proposed rate would raise $22.20 million in 2022-23, $22.87 million in 2023-24, $23.56 million in 2024-25, $24.26 million in 2025-26, and $24.99 million in 2026-27.
The estimated tax cost for this measure is an ESTIMATE ONLY based on the best information available from the county assessor at the time of the estimate and may reflect the impact of early payment discounts, compression and the collection rates.
This ballot title was filed with the County Clerk of Clackamas County on Thursday, February 25, 2021. Voters have until 5:00 p.m. on Monday, March 8, 2021 to petition for review of the ballot title in the Clackamas County Circuit Court. Any voter filing a petition for review must also file a copy of the petition with the Elections Division, 1710 Red Soils Ct., Ste. 100, Oregon City, not later than 5:00 p.m. on the next business day after the petition is filed with the Circuit Court.
ATTEST: Sherry Hall, County Clerk