New Volunteer Opportunities: Emergency Medical Services, Property Tax Appeals & Veterans

Main Content

Clackamas County Commissioners are seeking interested residents to serve on county Advisory Boards and Commissions (ABCs). These ABCs offer residents the opportunity to become very involved in specific activities and the goals of Clackamas County. 

Individuals interested in this opportunity can apply online or via a paper form that can be obtained from the Public & Government Affairs Department by calling 503-655-8751 or in person at the Public Services Building at 2051 Kaen Road in Oregon City.    

New ABC openings from the past week include:

Emergency Medical Services Council

The Clackamas County Emergency Medical Services Council advises the Board of County Commissioners and the Public Health Division on matters relating to the ambulance service plan and pre-hospital emergency medical services (EMS). This Council has two vacancies, each of which carries a three-year term. Available roles needing representation include:

  • Representative of PSAP in Clackamas County (911 center)
  • Emergency Physician in Clackamas County 

Members of the EMS Council meet quarterly and discuss matters related to the organization and running of emergency medical services in the county, and considers proposals from members, guests, and related subcommittees. The Council then advises the Board of County Commissioners on these and other EMS related matters. Applicants that are part of a PSAP in Clackamas County or serve as an Emergency Physician in Clackamas County are encouraged to apply. For more information regarding the Clackamas County EMS Council, please visit our webpage.

The deadline for applications is Sept. 8. For more information, contact Bill Conway, EMS Coordinator, at

Board of Property Tax Appeals

The Board of Property Tax Appeals has eight openings for one year terms that end June 30, 2022. Members of the Board of Property Tax Appeals will hear property tax appeal petitions and make decisions on those appeals that will influence tax rolls in the county. More information can be found on the BOPTA website. 

Applicants are required to be residents of Clackamas County. The time commitment and training includes attending mandatory board member training for one day in January, and tax appeal hearings that will be held Monday through Thursday starting February 1st through April 15 depending on the volume of tax appeals filed. Board members are compensated for the hearings that they attend. Applicants will also be asked to attend an interview with the County Clerk, Sherry Hall.

The deadline of applications is Sept. 2. For more information, contact Michael Newgard at

Veterans Advisory Council

This council has eight openings each of which carries a two-year term. The Clackamas County Veterans Advisory Council is committed to ensuring that Council membership reflects the diversity of Clackamas County residents. The Council actively seeks members from all regions of the county, all races, ethnicities, sexual orientations and cultures. The Veterans Advisory Council’s nineteen members advise the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners and the Department of Health, Housing and Human Services on all matters relating to the provision of services to veterans, their families and dependents, ensuring that their needs are recognized and addressed in a timely manner. Veterans Advisory Council also makes recommendations regarding current issues affecting veterans, their families and dependents. Meetings are the 4th Thursday, 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The application deadline is Sept. 3. For more information please contact Amy Kelsey at  or 503-650-5643. 

Department Staff
Katie Wilson
Public & Government Affairs